How to start after being trying spoon-fed my 10 months baby

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

How to start after being trying spoon-fed my 10 months baby

Postby GabyPaz » 19 Feb 2017, 12:29

Hi,

I hope I can get some help and reassurance in this forum.

My baby will be 10 months old in a week, he only receives one or two spoons when feeding him, unless I distract him and entertain him. If I do so, he would eat more but, it is really frustrating and stressful. I don't really want to have a battle with him at meal times and I feel bad if I distract him to eat, I feel it's a way of forcing him to eat.

I have been thinking on starting BLW with him, this weak we have been offering him the same food we eat (without salt), he grabs the food, put some in his mouth, but he doesn't really eat much. One morning he ended up with all the porridge in his head and I had to bath him after breakfast. His poo came back to yellow korma breast-feeding poo again! Also, it seems he quickly gets bored of trying to eat, I would say he tries for 5 to 10 minutes and then starts to drop the food.

I still breast feed him, he refused the bottle (we tried with many different types), but he takes some water from a sippy cup. At nursery it's a different story (he goes three days a week), he receives food, both from spoon and also he has finger food for snacks. I express milk and he drinks it from the sippy cup. They use some of my milk to make him porridge, he eats most of it.

I'm not sure if we are doing the right thing. I feel nervous that he is not having all the nutrients and food he needs, it's hard to hold my self of trying to put something in his mouth. Any advice? suggestion? Are we doing it right?

Also, is there any BLW mum in Glasgow? I would be very happy to meet for chat!

Thanks!

Gaby
GabyPaz

Re: How to start after being trying spoon-fed my 10 months b

Postby LKennedyEnglish » 24 Jun 2017, 15:48

Hi there, I also live in Glasgow (south side) and your post really resonated. I have a 10 month old who refuses pretty much anything other than breast milk.
I have been trying BLW and also resorted to trying to spoon feed as well but getting nowhere. She won't take a bottle and will occasionally take a little water or milk from a sippy cup ( but just a few sips). I have to go back to work in a couple of months and am getting really stressed that she just won't be able to go into nursery.
I'd love to have a chat about your experience and see how you're getting on now. Also since turning 9 months her sleep has majorly regressed and she's up feeding 3-5 times a night and seems genuinely hungry rather than just using me for comfort.
Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated! Thanks x
LKennedyEnglish

Return to New to BLW?