8.5 mos baby puts nothing in his mouth how to transition him

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

8.5 mos baby puts nothing in his mouth how to transition him

Postby 3BoysMama » 07 Feb 2017, 05:38

Hi! I'm so overwhelmed! My son is breastfed and started solids st 6 months old. He acts like he wants to eat but he has never tried to put any food into his own mouth. In fact he puts basically nothing in his mouth besides my breast other than an occasional lick of a toy. That's it though no pacifiers, bottles, nothing. I have been mashing his food most of the time hoping he would put his fingers in it and then into his mouth, but no. So I eventually went to a spoon. He will take food from the spoon or off of my fingers. He has always been very good at expressing when he wants a bite or when he is finished. I've left him to play with the food, bring him to the table, feed him veggies or fruits we're also eating but he will just squish it and then he'll be hungry if I don't feed him something by spoon or hand. Any suggestions??
3BoysMama

Re: 8.5 mos baby puts nothing in his mouth how to transition

Postby sabrina fair » 09 Feb 2017, 19:42

Honestly? Sounds like you're doing all the right things. He's still very little - loads of babies don't start eating with any purpose until at least 10 months old, so I suggest that you continue sharing meals with him, making it fun, encouraging play and trying to stay relaxed. Every baby is different- maybe he's one who just takes longer to explore with his mouth. If he's used to getting mashed food and you're listening to his cues (which you're obviously doing) then it makes sense to keep doing that.

Might be worth doing some sensory play with him with different foods just so he can get used to them, but apart from that I don't have any suggestions except for stay relaxed and patient. Good luck!
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Return to New to BLW?