Toast?

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Toast?

Postby esmereldaskysurfer » 12 Dec 2016, 02:33

I gave A a piece of toast with smooth peanut butter, which he loves. He was doing great, just sucking the toast, occasionally chewing and generally licking the peanut butter off it as he usually does, then he started gagging on a piece of toast. He spat it out, but when he went to put the next piece in, i guess his gag reflex wasnt done because he suddenly started vomiting like crazy, it was coming out of his nose and everything. Is this normal? Should i lay off toast for a while?
esmereldaskysurfer

Re: Toast?

Postby EnigmaFish » 19 Dec 2016, 23:05

Some babies do find toast quite gaggy. I think it's something to do with it being hard, but then turning soft. Also, it can have a tendency to stick to the roof of their mouth in a big, soggy lump. Not all babies have that problem, mind. However, if yours is one of the type who find toast gaggy, I can imagine the peanut butter is making things even stickier!
Maybe try offering peanut butter on something else? Or maybe try a different type of bread?

We also had a couple of epic vomits like you describe. It's pretty impressive.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Re: Toast?

Postby littlegourmet » 16 Jan 2017, 13:13

I've also had this experience! (Ok not me personally...but my DS)

I found the PB & toast combo to be a bit much for him. Try some butter instead as it can 'soften' the bread a bit better than the PB. Cashew butter also tends to be a bit more runny than PB so you could give that a go.

Try not to let it deter you...your son will be over it already :)
https://www.littlegourmetbaby.com - Baby-led weaning advice, meal ideas, nutrition information, and mealtime troubleshooting
littlegourmet

Return to New to BLW?