Awfully smelly poop!!

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Awfully smelly poop!!

Postby ferra » 08 Dec 2016, 13:12

My 7.5-mo daughter loves broccoli, brussels sprouts and cauliflower and that's pretty much everything that she eats all day. I'm happy that she loves healthy food, but the smell of her poop is unbearable, I literally feel dizzy when changing her diapers!! Is it normal or do you think she's overeating this stuff? I give her pieces of chicken, beef, bread, pancakes, apples, homemade cookies, but she clearly prefers the stuff that gives her the stinkiest farts :?
At breakfast she eats baby cereal with spoon, then she has her favourite steamed greens, then pasta and/or more greens for lunch, then apples and cookies, and bread with something from our table, like chicken or pasta and/or more greens, for dinner. My first kid used to have baby food once or twice a day and bottles of formula with cereal two-three times daily. I knew exactly how many grams and ml he ate and drank, and I trusted commercial baby food that it's rich in everything he needs... But now I'm breastfeeding on demand and doing BLW. I have no idea if she's getting enough to eat and if her diet is balanced at all... Can it be that her poop is so awfully stinky because something isn't right?
:scream
ferra

Re: Awfully smelly poop!!

Postby LucyLastic » 14 Dec 2016, 10:04

Your LO is probably getting most of what they need from BF and the food is an added bonus, at 7.5m, so I shouldn't worry. As for her love of brassicas, well, they're renowned for having that undesired after effect - the sulphur compounds they contain can only be broken down in the large intestine. Maybe try reducing her intake of these for a while and see if you notice a difference?
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Re: Awfully smelly poop!!

Postby ches » 14 Dec 2016, 22:41

It sounds perfectly normal. And by the way, the commercial food is full of fillers and is not fantastic nutritional magic. She's getting exactly what she needs with the on-demand nursing and this other food. Her poop smells awful because she's starting to digest the food. It's normal, and I can't say if you get used to it or if it's just a passing phase while her poop transitions from breast milk poop to digested food poop. Very normal and I remember it well with both my kids.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Return to New to BLW?