Food sticking to top of baby's mouth

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Food sticking to top of baby's mouth

Postby MonsterMunching » 06 Nov 2016, 05:58

Hi, weaning is going pretty well now for my 6.5month old. It was really interesting to see that he effectively stopped eating any solids at all when he had a cold, but has recovered and is now gumming things with gusto!

However, he often has a sticky lump of food stuck to the top of his mouth. It seems to frustrate him as he often starts to get quite upset until I fish it out, which he hates (and I've just read another post saying it's not a good idea). Can anyone give me any tips on how to deal with this, please. I'll try spitting food out myself to see if he copies me, but he doesn't really do that yet.

Thanks!
MonsterMunching

Re: Food sticking to top of baby's mouth

Postby qbm » 06 Nov 2016, 20:30

Wahey! After PMing you I finally managed to approve your post. Typical!

Is anything in particular getting stuck?
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby MonsterMunching » 07 Nov 2016, 01:47

It wouldn't let me reply to the PM anyway. It said I wasn't authorised.

In particular it's been toasted bread and pita breads. Homemade falafel got stuck, but bought stuff didn't. I've been giving loads of oat/rice cakes as he loves those. But they aren't as good for loading things on to. Everything gets turned over, so tinned tuna, cottage cheese, lentils etc fall off the rice cakes, whereas I can 'smush' them in a bit more to toast and pita breads so they stick!

Any advice? Thanks
MonsterMunching

Postby sabrina fair » 07 Nov 2016, 20:50

That's pretty common. The only thing I found that helped was encouraging sips of water to help loosen the food. But, yeah, it's annoying till they grow out of it!
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Return to New to BLW?