Newbie seeking advice and reassurance

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Newbie seeking advice and reassurance

Postby Jonahandthewhale » 13 Oct 2016, 10:10

Hi, I have been doing BLW with my 6 month old since last week but am a bit worried he is not eating anything. I know it takes time but I don't know anyone else weaning this way so would love some support and reassurance.

I have mainly been giving him a bit of what I'm eating, so have offered him porridge, some steamed veg, some veggie muffins I made, banana, etc, but he just isn't interested. The closest he has got was with a Greek yoghurt and a little steamed carrot I added to it and put on a spoon. He grabbed the spoon and chewed it, inadvertedly chewing the food as well.

Am feeling a bit disheartened and would love to hear some success stories. When did it click for your little one and is there something I should do differently?
Jonahandthewhale

Re: Newbie seeking advice and reassurance

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 13 Oct 2016, 19:31

Hi there and welcome

Don't worry - they all take their own time in eating- both first mouthfuls and "getting it". A few tips for maintaining/generating interest is:
Eat the same thing at the same time and be overly enthusiastic about it!
Don't sit him down to eat when he's hungry. Sounds counter-intuitive but he'll have no idea that food will fill his tummy so will get frustrated if all he wants is milk and all he's being given is broccoli!
Keep going and keep up the fun side - that's what it's all about. He's getting all his nutrients from milk so anything he does actually eat is a bonus (for you) and and exploration (for him).
Loaded spoons is absolutely fine - yogurt, porridge etc. Let him take the lead with feeding himself (and painting his face with it for a while!!!!)

All babies do things differently but it generally takes somewhere around 2-4 months to start getting the idea of actually eating and probably getting on for around 6 months before the connection is made that food is filling their tummy! These aren't accurate dates - some take much longer, some start wolfing their food at the first opportunity.

Just relax and enjoy it because the more you do, the more he will too!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby StJuniper » 14 Oct 2016, 19:46

What URF said. A week in BLW time is the merest second! He's just getting started, and he'll move at his own pace.

Don't be afraid to give what you're eating, as long as it's not too sugary/salty. He may be more interested if he sees you eating the same thing, or in something with a bit more flavour (I notice everything you mentioned so far is a bit on the bland side.) But mostly, just stay relaxed and keep offering a variety of food, and remember that even if not much gets actually ingested, he's still learning lots-- textures, motor skills, social skills, etc!
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby lmcwil » 28 Oct 2016, 21:16

Hi there!

My (first) baby is 7 months old and I started doing BLW with her when she was a week shy of 6 months. I think for about the first 3 weeks she didn't really swallow anything. Then I started to see bits of things in her diapers! Lol, you start to get really fascinated by their diapers when you start them on solids.

Now shes eating lots, and loving it! She is having legit turds every day, lol, which let me tell you is not as fun to clean up as breastmilk poo.

So just keep at it! your LO will start swallowing when hes ready

Love,
~Laura
lmcwil

Postby lmcwil » 28 Oct 2016, 21:37

Hi there!

My (first) baby is 7 months old and I started doing BLW with her when she was a week shy of 6 months. I think for about the first 3 weeks she didn't really swallow anything. Then I started to see bits of things in her diapers! Lol, you start to get really fascinated by their diapers when you start them on solids.

Now shes eating lots, and loving it! She is having legit turds every day, lol, which let me tell you is not as fun to clean up as breastmilk poo.

So just keep at it! your LO will start swallowing when hes ready

Love,
~Laura
lmcwil

Postby lmcwil » 02 Nov 2016, 00:03

I started offering food to my baby when she was about a week shy of 6 months, and I think for the first 2-3 weeks she didn't really swallow anything at all. Then I started noticing little bits of things in her diapers. Now it's only been about a month and a half and she eats quite a lot!

So just hang in there, I'm sure your LO will start to eat soon

:)
lmcwil

Return to New to BLW?