PLS HELP: BLW after purees 15 months old?

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

PLS HELP: BLW after purees 15 months old?

Postby butterblume » 04 Oct 2016, 12:25

Hello Ladies,

I have a problem and hope someone has advice for me:

My little one is 14 months old. I introduced puress with 7 months, all went well. I mashed it less and less, so that her meals are now really lumpy. The issue is that she refuses to eat on her own, she counts on the spoon every meal. If I try to give her the spoon, she starts to cry. I try to eat with her together, something which she could eat as well. She grabs my food and feeds me. She is not taking the food in her mouth. But snacks like bread, oatcakes, bars, etc. are absolutely fine - she uses her fingers and eats on her own. So mouth / hand coordination works well. But as soon as I try to replace a puree with a not mashed meal, she is refusing to eat it. And: She needs a lot of toys to eat.

So, any advice how I can do BLW after giving 7 months puree?
Any idea how I could bring her to eat "my" food?
Any idea how I could get her to eat without needing toys?

Does it just take time?

Many many thanks for your help in advance :)
butterblume
butterblume

Re: PLS HELP: BLW after purees 15 months old?

Postby EnigmaFish » 04 Oct 2016, 18:19

Okay, so to make sure I'm understanding:
- she was happy being spoon-fed when the purées were "smooth"?
- she doesn't want to eat what's being offered now that there's lumps in it?
- did this only start recently or has it been since you introduced the "lumps"?
- what is the purpose of the toys?
- will she feed herself with the spoon, say for instance if you load it and then place it in her reach?
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby Lily » 04 Oct 2016, 18:24

If she can feed herself snacks, then clearly there is no physiological or developmental reason why she can't feed herself meals too. So I think my approach would just be to go cold turkey on spoonfeeding her. She won't starve herself, she knows what food is and what to do with it. Maybe start with something fairly 'dry' such as sandwiches or filled pasta, so she doesn't associate it too strongly with purée.

You say you've tried giving her the spoon but I'm not clear whether you're loading it for her, or just giving her a spoon and a bowl of mushy food? 14 months is quite young to use cutlery properly - she might find it easier if you helped load the spoon. Or maybe to start with you could try not giving her a spoon, and just let her use her hands for a while, to break the association between mealtimes and spoon feeding?

When you say she 'needs toys to eat', do you mean you have to distract her with toys to get the food in? If so, I'd say you should stop that right away. A big part of BLW is about babies being fully engaged in the experience of eating, learning to enjoy food and to listen to their body's cues about appetite. Maybe she'll eat less; maybe to begin with she'll eat nothing at all, and just play with the food. That's okay. She won't starve herself, and she'll hopefully develop a better relationship with food.

X-posted with EF.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby EnigmaFish » 04 Oct 2016, 21:39

I had to run before I finished my post, but lily said a lot of what I planned to say, anyway, and better than I could have. :wink:
If she's able to feed herself her snacks, then why not offer her some of those same snack foods at meal times? It's only a social construct that certain foods are for certain times, and babies don't know any different.
What smooth or soft foods could you eat together? Porridge, yoghurt and soup are all things grown-ups eat. If you ate a bowl of porridge together, you would need to put the porridge on her spoon for her, but then set it down in front of her and let her put it in her own mouth.
Perhaps try offering a selection of small portions of various items, and let her choose what she eats. For instance, a bit of bread or another healthy snack she enjoys, alongside some porridge or yoghurt, and alongside a bit of whatever you're having for dinner.
Sit down and eat with her. Forget about the toys, and let the food be her toys. Babies learn through play, so when she's playing with her food it isn't pq she isn't interested. That's how her brain processes it.
Oh, also, relax and have fun yourself. That's one of the great things about BLW: it's less stressful.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Return to New to BLW?