Baby choked. What am I doing wrong?

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Baby choked. What am I doing wrong?

Postby EleanorsMom22 » 13 Sep 2016, 18:01

I love the idea of BLW. I read the book and was pretty confident. A week or so ago, we gave my daughter (almost 6 months) some of our roasted broccoli. She loved it! It was so awesome to see her enjoying the food. I looked away from her for a second and when I looked back she was choking (mouth open, no sound coming out of her). I freaked out and was trying to slap her back while my husband tried to unbuckle her from the highchair. Before he could get her out, she cleared the bit of broccoli and then vomited (not a lot). The whole thing probably took place in less than a minute.

Now my confidence is shot. I have stopped giving her any food because I'm just so scared that it will happen again. I know that gagging is normal but this seemed to be choking since it was apparent that she couldn't get any air in.

What did I do wrong? Is she still too young? Was the broccoli not soft enough?
EleanorsMom22

Re: Baby choked. What am I doing wrong?

Postby Lily » 13 Sep 2016, 19:57

Have some ((())), that sounds really frightening. It doesn't sound as if you did anything wrong, you just had some very bad luck. Maybe a bit of broccoli stem was the same rounded shape as her windpipe, but honestly, nobody would anticipate something like that.

If she's not yet 6 months, there's no harm in waiting a while before you try again. Is she sitting up nice and strongly so she can lean forwards if she needs to? You could always start with some non-choky foods like Greek yogurt on a loaded spoon, raspberries, maybe crackers spread with cream cheese or hummus, so you can get your confidence back.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Re: Baby choked. What am I doing wrong?

Postby EnigmaFish » 13 Sep 2016, 23:04

(((()))) You're not doing anything wrong. It sounds like you reacted really well; as did she.
We had a couple of choking scares as well, but we were fortunate in that they were much later on and we had more confidence that the baby could sort herself out.
I think Lily's hypothesis that the shape of the broccoli stem was the same shape as your baby's windpipe sounds plausible. Be extra careful for a while about the shape of the foods you offer. It isn't the size of food that matters nearly as much as the circumference. Split grapes, sausages, etc. lengthwise. Use carrot sticks instead of baby carrots.
Have some more ((())). As lily said, it's okay to take a breather for awhile.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Return to New to BLW?