Nervous Newbie

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Nervous Newbie

Postby mommabek » 03 Sep 2016, 01:12

Started our 6 month old 3 days ago with steamed baby carrots. Baby bites off huge amounts, like half of it which is terrifying. I panic with that much food in his mouth. He did gag and end up spitting out most so I guess he is doing what he is supposed to. I let him play in the food for a while and then helped a little by mushing some on the end of a spoon, then let him grab the spoon and self feed. I felt much more comfortable giving him smaller amounts on the spoon- is this acceptable? Should all food be finger (fist) fed? I didn't think he would coordinate with a spoon yet but he did really great. I want to stick with BLW but just feel very nervous with big bites.
mommabek

Re: Nervous Newbie

Postby Lily » 04 Sep 2016, 11:56

Don't worry, you'll grow in confidence as you see how quickly his skills develop. It sounds like he's made a great start already. A big part of BLW is that babies experience all the sensory aspects of food - different textures and shapes as well as flavours - so it would be a shame to restrict him to self-feeding mush on loaded spoons. Make sure you know what to do in the unlikely event that he does choke, and then try to relax and let him show you how much he can do!
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Treeb » 04 Sep 2016, 13:21

To add to what Lily said, feeding appropriate foods on a loaded spoon is totally fine as long as you're still following baby's lead with it, which it sounds like you are. There are plenty of "normal" foods that make sense to feed this way such as yogurt, oatmeal, rice, mashed potatoes, thick soups, etc. But the more variety you give and opportunities to practice with whole foods, the faster their skills will improve.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby mommabek » 05 Sep 2016, 17:41

Thanks ladies. Broccoli went great! It was softer than carrots so he handled it well and also seemed to love it. I'm feeling better each day
mommabek

Return to New to BLW?