Comfort feeding at night

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Comfort feeding at night

Postby onepinkladeee » 01 Sep 2016, 08:50

Hi all,

My daughter is just over 7.5 months and her two top teeth are currently making an appearance :D She is breastfed & currently wants to latch on at 6/7pm and stay there all night. She obviously isn't feeding for milk! But for comfort.

She did this at 4 months when her bottom two teeth came through and eventually at 6 months we spoke to our health visitor & decided to do sleep training (basically my husband going in when she woke every hour & rocked her to sleep instead of me feeding her to sleep). It did work, for about 2-3 weeks she was almost sleeping through the night, but now her top teeth are coming through we are back to square one!

I really dont have the heart to go through the same sleep training as last time, the crying was awful (my husband just reminded me it was only for about 2 or 3 nights! But it felt like FOREVER!) and i have to question is it really worth it if something like teething comes up and it goes out the window anyway!

...so for now we are cosleeping, which i am not totally against but i would like a better night time set up at some stage!

Is there anything we can do? Or is it just a case of go with it for now?

Thanks peeps =)
onepinkladeee

Re: Comfort feeding at night

Postby Marrow » 01 Sep 2016, 12:01

If cosleeping is working for you now, I'd stick with that. Don't worry about so-called bad habits (it's only bad if it's a problem), and know that if it stops working for you, you can change things later.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby Ali70 » 01 Sep 2016, 14:22

If she's teething I'd let her carry on. I found with Sproglet once the teething/illness had passed she tended to revert back to normal, or if she didn't it only took one night of sending DH in once or twice and very little crying to get her back on track. Until the next few teeth started coming through, or she learnt to crawl, or some other development leap screwed up her sleep again and we had to go back around the loop!
Sproglet born April 2013
Ali70

Postby Lily » 01 Sep 2016, 16:42

What Ali says - once they've got the hang of self-settling and sleeping through, it's much easier and quicker to get them back on track than it was to train them the first time. Teeth usually only cause a few nights of upset, then if you want to, you can go back to normal until the next ones.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby EnigmaFish » 03 Sep 2016, 22:27

I would describe my family as reluctant co-sleepers... it sounds like you are the same, so I thought I'd tell you what it's meant for us.

When Newt was about ten months old, we finally gave up on a (ten-month long) battle to get her to sleep in her own cot. I wish we'd done it sooner. For the next fifteen months, she slept in our king-size bed with us. There were good things and bad about this. Bad is that DH and I had to share... and there were times three in a bed were too many. Bad, also, pq most nights she was latched on the. whole. time. and many mornings I woke up feeling drained and used-up. Good things? That tiny little hot-water bottle next to me in the winter. The oxytocin rush as I fell asleep...
Just in the past month, we bought our girls bunk beds and they are sharing a room now. If Newt wakes, I go into her and lie down for a feed, but (assuming I don't fall asleep) I go back into my own bed once she has fallen asleep again. So far, she's been waking once or twice a night. On one glorious night, she slept seven hours straight!
I can't say yet how well this will work for us long term, but I do have a friend who did this from an early age. She put a single mattress on the floor, and would sleep there with the baby. As it got older, my friend now moves back into her own bed after the baby falls asleep. If there was a next time, I mightn't wait until the age of two to do this. On the other hand, I am quite a heavy sleeper, so it's possible I might have just ended up sleeping in a single bed every night!

Remember, whatever works best for your family is the best thing to do. I love what Marrow said - it's only a bad habit if it's a problem for you! If you find yourselves co-sleeping, just google safe practices for co-sleeping and go with it. I have the clingiest child in the world, and I've managed to get her out of my bed.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Return to New to BLW?