keeping food in her mouth

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

keeping food in her mouth

Postby onepinkladeee » 28 Aug 2016, 06:36

Hi,

So our baby is 7.5 months & she is enjoying playing with food & tastes it, which we are really pleased with. The issue we have is she will bite a chunk off (she has teeth) and keep it in her mouth. Shortly afterwards she starts getting a bit bored with the whole thing & wants to get out of her high chair, but she still has food in her mouth.

Ive tried fishing it out but its not a positive experience for either of us! and i want to keep meal times light, fun & positive.

What do others do?

Thanks =) xx
onepinkladeee

Re: keeping food in her mouth

Postby EnigmaFish » 31 Aug 2016, 08:26

It's a pretty common experience, to be honest. There's a number of things you can try, but to be honest, I wouldn't fish the food out of her mouth. It's unpleasant for both of you, and also you could inadvertently push the food further into her mouth and cause her to choke. Instead, offer her a drink of water at the end of each meal. This will flush out small pieces. If it's big pieces you're worried about, talk to her about it or get her to copy you: "Okay, we are done with our meal now. We don't want to leave any food in our mouths, so say aaaah and let mama see. Oh, there's some food in there. You need to chew that, or spit it out. See? Watch mama do it." And yeah, you might need to put a chunk of food in your own mouth and then spit it back out on to your plate. Babies love to copy us, so she should do it if you do. Also, we don't often give babies enough credit for being able to understand us when we talk to them.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Re: keeping food in her mouth

Postby onepinkladeee » 01 Sep 2016, 08:11

Thank you. I will try this. It didn't feel right fishing the food out at all!

Will let you know how it goes. I guess its all part of her learning =)
onepinkladeee

Return to New to BLW?