How big is too small - beginner help please!

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

How big is too small - beginner help please!

Postby Sungold123 » 26 Aug 2016, 22:11

Okay so I just started BLW with my 6 month old. We started with broccoli and she loved it. I understand that she won't choke bc she has a big piece to gnaw on, but what happens as she eats it and it gets smaller? Do we take it away if it gets to be grape sized?? This seems like such an obvious thing but I can't wrap my head around it. Thanks!
Sungold123

Re: How big is too small - beginner help please!

Postby Lily » 27 Aug 2016, 18:33

Choking hazards are really a matter of shape, not size. So whole grapes, cherry tomatoes and the like are risky because the round shape can block the windpipe. A piece of broccoli of any size is too wonky to be a choking hazard - it might go down the wrong way but it won't block the airway.

The main issue with food size for tiny babies is about their fine motor skills, rather than choking. If you give your baby small pieces, they will be completely hidden in the fist when they're picked up, which makes for a very frustrating experience. Soon your baby will develop a pincer grip, and then you're free to offer tiny things like peas and sweetcorn.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Re: How big is too small - beginner help please!

Postby rosiecotton19 » 21 Nov 2016, 19:51

Similar question- I have some roasted root vegetables. They are diced, about 1/2 inch to 1 inch in size. Is this a bad size? They are mostly soft since they are cooked. Is it safe to offer these to her or should I cut them up smaller?
rosiecotton19

Return to New to BLW?