Am I doing this right?? Baby not really eating

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Am I doing this right?? Baby not really eating

Postby carej1 » 23 Aug 2016, 16:52

My son is 6.5 months old, and I gave him solids for the first time, early last week. So far, I have offered: avocado, banana, steamed pears (all individually) onto the IKEA highchair. We eat dinner at this same time with him. My son mainly just played with the food. He has a wonderful time (laughing the whole time! :). He puts some of the food into his mouth, but I do not think he has swallowed much at all. He does not spit it out however. Just keeps it in his mouth for a while. His diapers have changed though. Anyway - I really would like him to actually EAT more food. Should I just keep doing what I am doing, and be patient - or should I change something? Thank you so much.
carej1

Re: Am I doing this right?? Baby not really eating

Postby Lily » 23 Aug 2016, 18:15

That sounds fine, and if his diapers have changed then he is swallowing something. Unless you have specific reason to be concerned about allergies, there's no need to introduce plain foods one at a time; you can just give him a little of what you're eating. Just avoid choking hazards such as nuts and whole grapes, no honey, and minimise salt and sugar. He may eat more if he sees you eating the same.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby EnigmaFish » 23 Aug 2016, 22:08

It sounds like he's having fun! BLW can help take the stress out of mealtimes, and make them more enjoyable. A great way to do that, as lily said, is for everyone to share the same food at the table. It's completely okay that he's eating at his own pace. He is happy. Milk will continue to meet his nutritional needs for a good while yet, so just have fun with him!
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby babydwyane » 26 Aug 2016, 14:17

I experienced this one also to my LO and apparently it's fine. As long as he/she will not choke. :)
babydwyane

Postby carej1 » 29 Aug 2016, 16:00

ok, thank you!!
carej1

Return to New to BLW?