First time mum, what should I expect with BLW?

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

First time mum, what should I expect with BLW?

Postby c.cunliffe » 15 Aug 2016, 12:15

Hello lovely mummies! I am a first time mum and my little one is just 6 months old. Her doctor suggested looking at this method of introducing solids and I am all for it! I have tried a few different things that she has held in her hand in big chunks and mouthed and licked like bananas, crepes, potato, sweet potato, and peanut butter on a spoon. She is breast fed and very healthy, but when Can I expect her to start actually consuming the food? She must be swallowing some but most of it is just licked and thrown away. She seems to like it, which is a plus, I just don't know what I should feed her (just one ingredient foods like broccoli, spinach, chicken, ham etc.?) or if I can give her things that I make with multiple ingredients? I am conscious of allergies (she hasn't had any reactions yet) and wanted to know what others have done to start this process. The advice from seasoned parents who have tried this and succeeded would be really appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.
c.cunliffe

Re: First time mum, what should I expect with BLW?

Postby StJuniper » 15 Aug 2016, 18:00

There is a huge range of normal with when they start eating. With some it's within the first few weeks, with some it takes a few months, and with some it's up to and even beyond a year! So don't worry too much about timing.
As far as what to feed, as long as you're steering clear of sugar and salt and a few choking hazards (whole grapes/nuts/cherry tomatoes, raw apple/carrot) you can give pretty much anything. If you're concerned about allergens, give sensitive foods early in the day when you'll have plenty of time to watch out for reactions. Hope that helps!
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Cofa's Tree » 15 Aug 2016, 19:37

Yep, as StJ says, it can vary - my son was nearer 11 months, my daughter was about 6 months and 2 weeks! We just started off giving them bits of our dinner, so Sunday roasts are ideal with a bit of veg, potato and strips of meat, but I've also given her food such as pasta, meatballs and sauce etc, so if you are eating combined ingredients, just put some of your dinner in front of her (just watch the salt content if using packaged food). Have fun!
Cofa's Tree

Postby Brigitte » 16 Aug 2016, 03:57

Welcome here!

I would just feed the baby whatever you're having for dinner, more or less. Avoid excessive sugar, salt, and no honey allowed before age one. Avoid outright choking hazards like whole blueberries or hazelnuts and such. That's it! Unless you have a specific family history of allergies, don't worry about them and just feed your baby dinner :) If an allergy turns up, you can always backtrack to figure it out later.
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Return to New to BLW?