milk day and night

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

milk day and night

Postby MISSVB » 11 Aug 2016, 09:52

Hello

Ive been doing BLW with my twins since they were 7 months old and before they were choking and vomiting alot.
they are almost a year old anf they are eating a little bit but also spit out a lot of food.

most health proffesionals reccomend that by 12 months old that milk should be less importand than food. but i think that appears to be based on a pureed fed baby that eats hartily at meal and snack times.

our girls still drink in the day and in the night and still rely on milk to get fill them up. The less milk they drink during the day, the more they tend to drink at night.

is it normal for blw babies to be needing milk day and night by 12 months. my hv is putting the pressure on to curb the night milk to to make them hungrier in the day however im trying to avoid sleep training if i can and it feels a bit harsh seeing as BLW is a slow Baby led process.

what have ypu all experienced?
MISSVB

Re: milk day and night

Postby Kitcameron » 11 Aug 2016, 19:41

I don't think it's that unusual for blw babies not to be eating too much at 12 months. Although we say food is for fun until they're one, there isn't a magically switch that flips at 12 months to persuade all babies to eat more and drink less at that point. There are, of course, children who are still relying more on milk than food at 12 months. I can't speak from personal experience, although my kids weren't eating loads at that point, but I would say if you want to stick with blw and you think it's working for you and your twins then stick with it. You know them better than anyone. Some babies do take longer to start eating, in fact my 2y 2m little girl is only just being weaned from breast milk. She eats, don't get me wrong, but she also has 3-4 milk feeds a day.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby EnigmaFish » 11 Aug 2016, 21:31

At that age, Newt was still feeding like a newborn, so yes, I think it's normal. :wink:
When Kleintje turned one and was still feeding, I did my own research into natural-term breastfeeding. I was trying to look for respected, unbiased sources and found many great articles from the likes of the World Health Organisation and the American (Society? Academy?) of Pediatrics, as well as the NHS. I wish I had bookmarked the articles, as they were very reassuring to me that I was doing the right thing.
As you said, many health professionals do recommend sleep training and cutting down on night feeds. However, they may not have the most up-to-date information, and they don't know your babies.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby ches » 12 Aug 2016, 02:49

In my sample size of two, it's normal to "need" milk night and day until nearly 3yo. :scream

Depends how baby-led you want to be but yes, they can survive without it, however, no, it won't be an easy transition. Sorry if you were looking for a silver bullet.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby MISSVB » 13 Aug 2016, 08:36

thanks for all your advice.
these milestones that the health proffessionals set can be really stressfull for first time parents.

this is my first time posting, and its been really helpfull

thankyou
MISSVB

Postby EnigmaFish » 13 Aug 2016, 23:13

Yes, they can be. They can really make you doubt yourself, sometimes.
I think our generation of new parents has a really great thing, in that we have the wisdom of our parents, and the learning of the health professionals, and the ability to easily research the Internet as well.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Return to New to BLW?