Balancing solids and breastfeeding

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Balancing solids and breastfeeding

Postby mamabear1120 » 27 Jul 2016, 16:51

My son is a little over 8 months, and I would like to breastfeed for awhile longer. We started BLW 2 months ago and he is really interested in eating. He eats whole fat yogurt pretty much every morning. Then the rest of the day it depends on what we are eating or doing, but a lot of times he will eat some of our dinners, and sometimes I will offer something at lunch time too. I'm just not sure how much I should be offering because I know he should be getting mostly breast milk until age 1. I always nurse before offering solids, and when I am at work I instruct his care givers (my mother and MIL) to give him his bottle first. I'm wondering how much milk he should be getting from now on since he is having some solids, and I am wondering how much solids I should be giving in order to make sure that he doesn't cut down his nursing too much. I know that too much solids could cause weaning earlier than I would like, and I want to avoid that. I'm just confused about the amounts of food and milk he should be having. When I'm at work, I leave enough milk for 1.5oz per hour of separation. Should that be continued until age 1? Our mothers are very eager to feed him lots of foods but I'm afraid to let them feed him a lot, because I don't want him to be too full to nurse with me. Also, he is a very slow gainer and always has been, so I don't want him to fill up on solids that aren't as high in fat calories as breast milk. His weight gain definitely has slowed down recently but he is super active. I nurse him on demand and he nurses very frequently still, and throughout the night. I'm just not sure how to proceed as he gets closer to age one, and then beyond age one. When he turns one, can I just stop worrying about this? How much milk does a baby over one need? Ahh help please! I know this is all over the place, sorry!
mamabear1120

Re: Balancing solids and breastfeeding

Postby StJuniper » 27 Jul 2016, 18:59

Part of the baby led bit is letting them choose how much to nurse, as well. Certainly I'd stick to offering milk before solids, but as he starts to figure out that food can fill him up as well as milk, he may cut back naturally and at his own pace. They're all different! My eldest kept nursing whenever I'd let him until he was a few months over three, when I cut him off, and my second child drastically reduced his breastfeeding a few months after he turned one, and adamantly refused to keep nursing around the time of his second birthday.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby ChristmasGift » 27 Jul 2016, 19:31

Try to stop worrying about it now - no need to wait for another 4 months! All the guidelines about how much milk vs how much solids are just that, guidelines and every baby is different. Don't forget although you probably know how long he breastfeeds for you've actually got no real idea how much he's taking. Try to just follow his lead, trust that he knows what he needs and you'll both be just fine.
Mama to The Babs- Aug 2012
ChristmasGift

Postby Lily » 29 Jul 2016, 19:46

If he's nursing plenty when he's with you, including overnight, that's great (as long as you can cope with the sleep disruption!). It's normal for babies to eat more solids when they're away from mama, as they're adaptable and will quickly realise that's the best way to satisfy their hunger when you're not around. My son never took a bottle from my mum, who looked after him regularly from 8mo; he just had water and food. I weaned him at 2.5yo when I was pregnant again.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Return to New to BLW?