Is it ok not to use a high chairs when beginning blw?

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Is it ok not to use a high chairs when beginning blw?

Postby Datap » 15 Jul 2016, 18:07

In the books I have read, and other advice, it has been suggested that it can be better to start eating solids whilst holding lo in arms rather than putting her in a high chair. This appears in Magda Gerber's book, amongst others. I'm generally really impressed with her principles and ideas. So, my question is, is it ok to do blw without the high chair? Everything I have read so far seems to suggest that the high chair is necessary.
We really want to do blw but we don't want to put her in a high chair. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Datap

Re: Is it ok not to use a high chairs when beginning blw?

Postby Treeb » 16 Jul 2016, 00:45

Yes, totally ok! A big part of blw is doing things in the way that works best for you, your lo, your family, etc.

My son started out in the highchair from day one, but my daughter started out in my lap for the first several weeks until it felt like the right time to transition her to the highchair. We had a few reasons for having her on my lap, including the fact that my son was still using the highchair, and she also seemed to sit more steadily on my lap. A lot of people find that their lo is more interested in trying food if it is the same food Mama is eating, so sitting together and sharing a plate can have is its advantages for that reason too.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby StJuniper » 16 Jul 2016, 08:35

Yes, it's fine, just be prepared to change outfits s lot! Neat and tidy aren't the first words that spring to mind when thinking of BLW!
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby StJuniper » 16 Jul 2016, 11:44

^ I'm so glad that is a coherent answer. I wrote it during a middle of the night nursing session, and it came out as gibberish a couple times as I was trying to type it :D
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Datap » 19 Jul 2016, 07:34

Thanks so much for the replies!
Looking forward to beginning soon :)
Datap

Return to New to BLW?