The swap?!?

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

The swap?!?

Postby Francine » 07 Jul 2016, 08:51

Hi there I started weening my little girl 1 week ago using the traditional puree weening method she's 6 months on Monday and is clearly interested in food but would much rather chew a stick of Apple than be spoon fed Apple puree, so my question is can I switch from traditional to BLW now without causing her any problems, my major fear in this stage is choking and I don't want to create any issues with swapping from the puree's to solids (I have read that the methods are different In terms of them learning to swallow) but equally I feel that puree is not the right method for her as she is just not enjoying it! Can anyone help answer this question for me? All replays appreciated (also new to this forum stuff) ;-) thanks xxx
Francine

Re: The swap?!?

Postby mamapup » 07 Jul 2016, 10:05

You're only a week in, it'll be absolutely fine.

Good luck and do read up on the dos and donts of blw.

Basically no raw honey until 1, no nuts for a while, and ensure everything else is cut safely (so cut cherry to ms and grapes to prevent them being a choking hazard) . I also recommend no raw carrots or apples unless grated at the early stages.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Francine » 07 Jul 2016, 14:08

Thank you for the advice I will make sure to cook my carrots and stay clear of Apple for now!
Francine

Postby ches » 07 Jul 2016, 15:33

I would avoid apples TBH, too hard and gagtastic. Bananas are better, especially if you leave a bit of skin on so it's not slippery to hold. One week in, most BLW babies haven't swallowed anything yet, so no problem switching.

When I saw "The Swap" I thought of something else entirely: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=56724&hilit=swap
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby LucyLastic » 07 Jul 2016, 17:07

Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby Kitcameron » 08 Jul 2016, 06:18

You could fry apple slices until soft so she can eat them if she's enjoying them. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon too for a festive flavour (in July???) lol.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Treeb » 08 Jul 2016, 14:09

Since this has become a discussion of feeding apples to tinies, I'll weigh in with my experience. L did find raw apple gaggy, but A never had any trouble with them even from the start. You can slice them very thinly to make them easier to handle any chunks that break off. Alternately just handing over a mostly-eaten apple seems to work well since they can suck out the juices (and scrape off bits of the have teeth) without much risk of getting a big chunk.

And to offer some contrast to what Ches says, A still finds banana super gaggy at a year old. Every baby is different, so just offer a variety and you'll soon learn what they like, what they have trouble with, etc. Good luck and have fun!
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby Marrow » 08 Jul 2016, 15:45

Carrots and apple can both be grated too, if you are so inclined, and picked up by the fistful.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby Francine » 08 Jul 2016, 16:32

Thank you ladies for all your comments I'm feeling much better about BLW now, I have to say she's not that keen on anything really unless I'm eating it like she wants my nectarine or my apple, I give her bits of her own but she still seems a little uninterested! I'm considering maybe trying her with some cheese and toast to see if she's more taken with that than good old fruit and veg, I'm sure once she gets the hang of it she will eat anything but to get her going initially does anyone have any other suggestions? x
Francine

Postby busmother » 09 Jul 2016, 20:46

Really anything she can pick up is good (as long as not too salty / honey, whole nuts) so you can try just offering things from your own meal rather than preparing things specially for her. My three have always wolfed down fruit, so I've never had any issues getting them started, but rice cakes / oatcakes with houmous or cream cheese were always a good staple for me, or I was recommended dried apricots as they have lots of iron in, so that was always a staple in the early days. But just try everything, and see what she likes!
Mother to twin buses, born 2010, and number 3, born 2015
busmother

Return to New to BLW?