New mom with questions

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

New mom with questions

Postby mamabear1120 » 14 Jun 2016, 14:59

So my son will be 7 months next week, and we have offered him a few foods over the past few weeks. The only thing he seems to like is yogurt. I had given him a banana, which he sucked on, but did not like it when he bit a piece off. I have also offered cheerios and broccoli. The broccoli he wanted no part of, and has put a few cheerios in his mouth but ends up gagging on them. He tried some meatball that I cut up really tiny for him since he was grabbing at it. He shoved it in his mouth but I don't think he actually swallowed any, which I know is okay. I plan on also giving him sweet potato, but I am wondering if I should mash them or just bake them and cut into pieces. I really have no idea what I am doing with any of this! And my family is so confused about BLW and are looking at me like I am crazy. My aunt told me I put my child at risk by giving him the banana not mashed. Nobody can understand why I want to do solids this way, and why I am not just pureeing every single food and feeding him myself. When I gave the yogurt I put it on the spoon and just handed it to him and he fed himself and loved it. It made me think maybe he does better with that texture and just isn't ready to chew other foods?? He has no teeth yet. He is just now starting to grab foods off of my plate, which he hadn't been doing previously. I'm starting to question why I am doing this and if I should just follow the traditional way even though BLW makes sense to me... everybody around me just gives/gave jars of food.

I am wondering how I go about preparing/offering meat? And should I be waiting to offer eggs? What else could I offer at this age, and how often should I be offering solids? The baby's doctor told me I should be offering 2 times a day, every day at this age, and said that food is only for fun from ages 4-6months, but after 6 months he needs to be eating everyday. This is the opposite of what I have heard, which is that foods before age 1 are just for fun. But again, everyone thinks I am crazy!!

My mom mentioned to me that she did purees with me, but when she had my sister 10 years later she would give real food, like she would cook frozen peas and carrots until they were soft. Is that okay? I am afraid of choking. I don't know about the size/shape of foods I should be giving. I have seen pictures of giving big wedges that the babies hold and gnaw on, but also read that everything should be cut like the size of a thin French fry.

Please help with any suggestions or recommendations for different foods to try and how I should prepare them. Thanks!
mamabear1120

New mom with questions

Postby mamabear1120 » 14 Jun 2016, 15:25

I posted a topic but it doesn't seem to have gone through, so here it goes again..

My son is 7 months old next week, and for the past few weeks we have given him a few different solids to try. He seems to only like yogurt at this point. I gave him banana, which he sucked on but didn't like it when he bit a piece off. I offered broccoli but he didn't like it. I have offered cheerios, which he brings to his mouth but then gags on them. He tried some meatball that I cut into tiny pieces after he was grabbing it on my plate, but I don't think he actually swallowed any, just gagged. The yogurt I put on the spoon for him and handed him the spoon and he fed himself. He ate more than I was expecting him to and he had fun with it. I would like to offer sweet potato next, but not sure if I should mash it or bake it soft and cut it up. Basically everyone thinks I am crazy and cannot understand why I would want to do solids this way. I'm starting to second guess myself even though BLW makes sense to me. But since he took to the yogurt so well, I am wondering if maybe he just isn't ready for finger foods and I should be pureeing food? I am just so confused and have no idea what I am doing. It doesn't help that everyone thinks I am nuts! Also, my son's doctor told me that from 4-6 months food is just for fun, but now I should be offering 2 times a day, every single day, because he needs solids. This goes against what I heard about solids being for fun up until age 1. My aunt told me I put my child at risk by not mashing the banana up before offering it. I don't want to feel like a bad mother.

Is there a certain age I should wait before introducing meat and how do I go about preparing/offering meat? Should I be waiting until a year old to give eggs? What else could I offer at this age and how do I go about preparing it?

I don't know about the size/shape of foods I should be giving. I have seen pictures of giving big wedges that the babies hold and gnaw on, but also read that everything should be cut like the size of a thin French fry.

Please help!
mamabear1120

Re: New mom with questions

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 14 Jun 2016, 15:49

Hi mamabear and welcome

First posts need to approved by mods (it cuts down on the spam)! Your posts will now appear as expected.
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby StJuniper » 14 Jun 2016, 16:17

It sounds like you may actually be doing pieces too small and mushy for him. I know that sounds counterintuitive, especially if everyone around you is pushing purée weaning, but for BLW, you're trying to hit a texture that's firm enough to grab, yet mushy enough to squish with your tongue against the roof of your mouth, and pieces should be about the length/width of your finger so baby can grab and manoeuvre them easily.

Gagging is totally normal and doesn't mean baby isn't ready. He'll stop gagging in his own time as he grows accustomed to solids. Meat and eggs are fine-- honey and whole nuts, plus anything salty or sugary is off limits, but other than that, baby can have pretty much whatever.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Lily » 14 Jun 2016, 18:24

Yes, I think StJ is right - too small pieces can easily get too far back in your baby's mouth before he's ready, and make him gag. Pieces like French fries are easy to grab and gnaw on, but if he's happier holding a bigger piece then that's fine too. My daughter (14mo) still finds it easier to judge a sensible bite size if she has a large piece to hold; give her a moderate-sized bit and she'll cram the whole thing in rather than biting it.

If he likes loaded spoons, you could try offering him other foods you'd eat with a spoon, like mashed potatoes. Just because it's baby-led doesn't mean everything has to be firm textured! Every baby has different preferences.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby EnigmaFish » 14 Jun 2016, 22:35

Welcome, and good for you for following your instincts and doing what you feel is best for your baby!
Firstly, have you read Gill Rapley's book? It would answer a lot of your questions better than I can. It's pretty readily available now - I've even seen it at my local library.
You can offer any foods to your baby. Don't be surprised if he doesn't eat most of them. He doesn't dislike broccoli or banana. He doesn't realise that they're food yet, and he's just not interested in exploring them yet. If you don't have a history of allergies in your family, you can offer almost any foods to your baby. The only things to avoid are choking hazards like whole grapes, cherries and nuts. Honey isn't good for under-ones, and salt should be limited.
There is no reason why you can't just give your baby a taste of what you are having for dinner. Honestly, that's my favourite thing about BLW: I love lazy parenting.
Regarding shapes: larger is actually better for littlies. He won't have a great pincer grip yet, so he would have trouble picking up tiny pieces. The reason you've seen a recommendation for chip-shaped is that this particular shape gives them a "handle" to hold on to, but there's still some food sticking out of their fists to eat. It's a guideline though, not a law. Obviously if you're offering something like say... a strawberry, you're not going to chip it first.
One other thing is that having teeth isn't a requirement for eating. Quite hard foods like raw carrot or apple won't work, but other than that you'll find your baby will work his way through just about anything... even meat. Both my girls loved getting a big strip of steak, so they could suck all the juices out of it.

I hope that helps.

ETA: I see now that I replied to the wrong thread and loads of my friends have already been on to help you! That's great. So, I'm just using my new moddy skills to merge the two topics.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Return to New to BLW?