Starting Baby Led Weaning at 20 months

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Starting Baby Led Weaning at 20 months

Postby ellie3007 » 13 Jun 2016, 05:53

Hello all,
Im pretty new to baby led weaning, and to be honest if i knew about this when my daughter was younger, i probably would have started her right away, but i live in Korea, and baby led weaning is not something very common on this side of the planet. All babies start with puree and then move to congees or rice porridge with veggies, etc...
Now the real issue, because i went through the "Asian" way, now my happy 20 month old REFUSES to eat any big pieces of ANYTHING. She will eat fruits (only in small cubes, and the fruit needs to be soft, like bananas or mangoes), but will not eat any meat, or veggies, steamed, or softly cooked...Im a working mom, but im always home for her breakfast and dinner, is it possible to start BLW that late and be successful? Without starving her? Since she wont eat anything that is not mushy, or slightly pureed? Any tips for late BLW followers would be GREAT! i just want her to be able to enjoy the same foods that we do :( There are so many great recipes on this website, and i tried a couple but it was definitely a bust and im afraid, she will want to eat only rice porridge for the last of her life (haha) :(
Thank you so much
ellie3007

Re: Starting Baby Led Weaning at 20 months

Postby StJuniper » 13 Jun 2016, 08:51

I wouldn't take her off the purées as you don't want to deprive her of nutrition, but the principle of BLW may be able to help you. Give her food, but think of it as messy play. Saucy noodles, big slices of juicy melon, whatever you have around that you could give her for a no-pressure playtime. Try to relax, let it be fun for her, maybe serve her in a baby pool if you have one, or picnic style, and let her go nuts. Sometimes getting them to get up close and messy with foods encourages them to do some tasting on their own terms. Hope you figure it out, it must be frustrating for you.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby ellie3007 » 15 Jun 2016, 02:14

Thank you so much StJuniper. I followed her tip and gave her some animal pasta with cream sauce, she played, played and smooshed everything but nothing went in her mouth...I guess ill take baby steps and try to make at least feel the textures of the food. THANK YOU
ellie3007

Postby EnigmaFish » 15 Jun 2016, 22:06

One way that you can apply the BLW principles at this age is to trust your daughter's choices and relax and have fun with her at mealtimes. As StJ says, allow her to play with and discover food. Maybe make each meal something she likes, but something different alongside it. Let her play, and don't worry about whether anything is going in. Eat the same food with her, so that she sees you enjoying it.
My Newt is about the same age, and she recently started a phase where she will only eat a new food if I try it first. I feel like I'm her personal taster.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby ellie3007 » 16 Jun 2016, 03:22

Tried pasta for the second time last night, but this time i ate with her!! GENIUS EnigmaFish!!!! She finished the whole bowl! although the cleaning was no fun (but kinda fun with her helping me), it was the first time she
1) fed herself from beginning to end
2) ate something other than rice
THANK YOU for the tips ladies!
ellie3007

Postby EnigmaFish » 16 Jun 2016, 19:05

:D
I'm so glad to hear that! I can't claim credit for the idea though. I got it from Gill Rapley's BLW book. If you haven't read it, you might find some interesting tips, even if it is aimed more at younger babies.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Return to New to BLW?