Baby dropping formula feeds too soon?

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Baby dropping formula feeds too soon?

Postby JackiePow » 20 May 2016, 20:20

Hello! Trying to decide whether to go with my gut or listen to the doctor. Our nine month old is down to just one or two ( mostly one ) formula feed per day. She is the thus far an amazing eater, thanks in no small part to BLW. She eats literally everything we put in front of her and in large quantities. Her weight gain and growth is completely normal. Yet… The doctor seems to think she still needs 16 to 20 ounces of formula per day since she isn't supposed to have milk until 12 months. This makes no sense to me. We have worked hard to get her to eat and she has dropped the formula voluntarily so why would we regress to more bottles again? I should add that she eats plenty of cheese and yogurt and does actually have a little cows milk with her morning cereal. My gut tells me to carry-on as I have been. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
JackiePow

Re: Baby dropping formula feeds too soon?

Postby Lily » 20 May 2016, 20:37

If she isn't interested in her bottles any more then I think she's made the decision for you - it's not like you're going to force-feed her formula! But if she's not getting the nutrition she needs from formula, then it's especially important to make sure she gets a balanced diet. I think some BLW parents (myself included) are very relaxed about what their babies eat and don't eat, because they have breast milk or formula as a fall-back; I'm sure you're very aware of her diet, and as long as she gets plenty of protein, good fats, vitamins and minerals then she'll be fine.

Also do be prepared for there to be times when she may want more formula again. For example, if she's teething or unwell, she might need the reassurance and comfort of a bottle when she can't face solid food. Upping her quantity of formula feeds isn't necessarily a 'regression', it might just depend on how she feels that day.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Re: Baby dropping formula feeds too soon?

Postby lisbeth » 20 May 2016, 21:36

My daughter 'switched' to food rather than milk at around 9 1/2 months, and dropped the number of feeds dramatically. She did carry on with milk morning and evening until she was just under a year, but when she was hungry, she wanted food, not milk, and I don't think I could have persuaded her otherwise. If anything there was a tiny jump up in her weight at that point, but over a few months she gradually returned to her original percentile line. She ate as balanced a diet as I could devise, so I went with it. My son didn't eat much in quantity until well beyond a year (though he loved tasting food), but carried on with milk for much, much longer, and for a long time if he was ill, all he wanted was milk. So as Lily said, I didn't worry about what he did or didn't eat as he always had milk.
A 2011, R 2012
lisbeth

Return to New to BLW?