Help - how much milk to give??

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Help - how much milk to give??

Postby saraheangus » 12 May 2016, 14:40

Hi there

My son is 27 weeks and I've been weaning him since about 18 weeks with mixed success. He was ok to begin with but now really hates anything on a spoon and literally clamps his mouth shut (unless it's fruit puree or yoghurt...). this has also coincided with me trying to get him onto thicker puree/small lumps and more savory rather than sweet. After trying him on finger foods over the past few weeks he seems much more confident and comfortable doing this so I've taken his lead and now doing BLW. He's not swallowing a great deal but I'm assuming as it's still early on from the puree to BLW switch, he'll pick it up soon??

I get the principles of BLW I just don't know how much milk to give him especially while he's getting to grips with it. He is FF and has 5 feeds of 7oz per day anywhere between when he wakes 530/6am and when he goes to bed 7/730pm.

The first and last feeds I assume to be the usual 7oz but how about the rest? Do I do half milk before lunch and dinner or try and give the meal first and milk after? I've got two older children so what with nursery runs and naps, his routine is sometimes off. My other children were both puree fed (my second I intro'd finger foods around 8m but primarily it was mush).

Thanks in advance! Apologies for the essay........
saraheangus

Re: Help - how much milk to give??

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 12 May 2016, 14:58

Hi there and welcome

I wouldn't worry about milk quantities at this stage. He will let you know when he is ready to drop feeds. It won't encourage him to eat solids, he will only get frustrated and upset that he's hungry. Babies take quite a while (months) to figure out that food fills their tummies!

We generally ate together, right from the start. That way, they can watch and copy - see you enjoying your food and they will want to do the same. This tended to be around an hour after the last milk feed so they weren't hungry and cross. Both mind didn't start dropping milk until around 11 months but I followed their lead. If they wanted milk, they had it. When they'd had enough, then that was it. My first carried on with milk until almost 3, my second stopped at 14 months. They are all different!!!

I would offer a little of whatever you are eating and let him explore and play and eat if he wishes. You can also give him a loaded spoon of yoghurt/porridge etc - that way he has control over intake.

HTH!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby Cofa's Tree » 12 May 2016, 16:41

I'd echo what HF said - just go with whatever works on any particular day! My daughter will be 7 months next week (but was 4 weeks early so has only really been ready in the last two weeks or so to give it a go). She has 6oz (but rarely does the full 6oz in any feed) anywhere between 4am-6am, then another 6oz about 8ish. She'll then have 'breakfast', usually Weetabix, about 10ish. Another bottle at lunchtime, one late afternoon, then she'll sit with us around 6pm-ish for our evening meal and have a bit of what we're eating, then a bottle before she goes to sleep about 7.30ish. Plus occasionally a 2am feed. But we're still in the very early days where she's just having bits rather than proper meals (apart from the Weetabix).

We did similar with my son, and I followed his lead - if he didn't ask for a bottle, I didn't offer and gradually he dropped bottles and ate more (but nearer 11/12 months!).
Cofa's Tree

Postby saraheangus » 12 May 2016, 19:13

It's madness, this is my third time and I've forgotten everything from just a few years ago! Thanks Cofa's Tree and HappyFeet this is really great advice. I think I'm just rushing things too quickly (I'm not v patient!) so will just go with him. I've had to really with the giving up puree anyway so will let him lead. I know every baby is different but do you remember when they 'got it' in terms of actually swallowing the food? So for lunch today I gave him one slice of bread with hummous in it cut into fingers and some cucumber sticks which he kind of mushed around and sucked which is fine but I'm not giving him masses to choose from a) so not so much food wastage and b) not too much stimulation in terms of food choices.

Thanks again :)
saraheangus

Postby Cofa's Tree » 12 May 2016, 20:52

Sounds fine for around the six month stage! I found it useful to remind myself that eating is a skill to be learnt, just like walking and talking, so he can't 'get it' without all the licking, smooshing and chucking around first :wink:

It wasn't until about 11 or 12 months that I felt Daniel got it...so we've potentially got a few months to go - although I have to say that Lottie really seems to be getting it - she dives on food when I put it in front of her, shouts if she hasn't got enough and gives it all a suck (which is quite useful to be able to tell her brother 'look, she's giving the mangetout a go' when he's turning his nose up!)
Cofa's Tree

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 12 May 2016, 21:23

8-9 months that food was intentionally and purposely eaten and 11 months that they earnestly ate anything.
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby saraheangus » 13 May 2016, 06:54

Thanks ladies - this has been super helpful. He's currently giving some mini shredded wheat a go and having fun right now. The thing I'm looking forward to is not having the same battles which I have with my older one (4) who still hates anything textured! Fingers crossed.
saraheangus

Postby Kitcameron » 13 May 2016, 16:07

I also just want to add that dont worry if he's not awake for meals with you, if he isn't awake at any meals then maybe try and move a meal around or something so he can eat with you but otherwise if he sleeps through a meal dont worry. It's ok if he's only joining in with one meal a day at this stage as he will keep up with his milk but as he gets older and his nap pattern shifts he'll join in with more and more meals.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Return to New to BLW?