Where does the gut information pre 6mths come from?

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Where does the gut information pre 6mths come from?

Postby Linda_SthOz » 11 May 2016, 00:24

I am holding out my 4mth old until 6mths old due to the information on the gut not being developmentally ready. However somebody has said the gut information is just hypothesis, that it isn't really known. I was just wondering where the information comes from, is there a research study or something?
It is this information I am referring to from Dr Sears -
The intestines are the body’s filtering system, screening out potentially harmful substances and letting in healthy nutrients. In the early months, this filtering system is immature. Between four and seven months a baby’s intestinal lining goes through a developmental growth spurt called closure, meaning the intestinal lining becomes more selective about what to let through. To prevent potentially-allergenic foods from entering the bloodstream, the maturing intestines secrete IgA , a protein immunoglobulin that acts like a protective paint, coating the intestines and preventing the passage of harmful allergens. In the early months, infant IgA production is low (although there is lots of IgA in human milk), and it is easier for potentially-allergenic food molecules to enter the baby’s system. Once food molecules are in the blood, the immune system may produce antibodies to that food, creating a food allergy. By six to seven months of age the intestines are more mature and able to filter out more of the offending allergens. This is why it’s particularly important to delay introducing solid foods if there is a family history of food allergy, and especially to delay the introduction of foods to which other family members are allergic.
Linda_SthOz

Re: Where does the gut information pre 6mths come from?

Postby Marrow » 11 May 2016, 00:55

Does help? It's a policy statement from the British Dietetic Association, but it's got references to the WHO and SACN, who are the committees who have reviewed the evidence internationally and in the UK, respectively. It's not brand new - 2013 - but it might be a place to start?
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Return to New to BLW?