Do kids who are bottlefed eat more/better?

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Do kids who are bottlefed eat more/better?

Postby Mami » 10 May 2016, 16:26

That's what the doctor said. My son (almost 12 months) apparently has iron deficiency and has to supplement now. I told her he just won't eat, she told me to stop breastfeeding. (And to fill him with grain puree at night, because apparently he should not need nightly feeds. Maybe she didn't listen...)

A bit of Background:
My son started BLW when he was six months, but the amount he eats doesn't change. We tried every consistency, he would eat puree for a while, then prefer our food, then stop eating altogether. I bring him every type of food I can get my hands on, put spices in, serve them plain, puree the lasagna. I am a convinced Vegetarian and in my desperation I even served him meat in a variety of ways.
I just saw my six month old nephew gulp down a glass of puree, while mine will shut his lipids tight after a few spoons, and I will not force him. But I do get worried.
Mami to Bauki *May 2015
Mami

Re: Do kids who are bottlefed eat more/better?

Postby Lily » 10 May 2016, 18:29

I don't have experienced of bottle feeding, but I do know that every baby is different and will start to eat in their own time. My first took months to swallow anything, and only really ate fruit, carbs and dairy till he was about 3; he will now eat some meat and fish, but still very little veg. My second has wolfed down everything in sight since day one. Both were EBF for 6 months, he was weaned at 2.5, and she still bfs 3 or 4 times a day. They just have different tastes and different personalities.

Breastmilk is very high in calories, and rich in nutrients, so if your LO is taking his time with solids then the last thing I'd do is to stop breastfeeding. The one advantage of formula is that it's fortified with iron, but if you're happy to supplement until he eats more then that's fine. I found that giving my son a vitamin and iron supplement helped me to relax and let him explore food at his own pace.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby emzit » 10 May 2016, 19:38

What lily said, but also, did your doctor do tests to determine the iron deficiency? A lot of people worry that after six months iron stores hit rock bottom but that's not really the case,
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Mami » 10 May 2016, 20:02

Well, I always wanted to breastfeed him till he could live off solids, but at this rate that might take longer than expected. He will try almost everything though, so that's a start.
I am not very happy with the supplements, they are disgusting tasting drops, that make him gag. But yes, it does make me relax at feedings.
The deficiency was determined with a bloodcell-count, I will demand a proper ferritin-count when he gets checked again.
Mami to Bauki *May 2015
Mami

Return to New to BLW?