Baby choking/vomiting on all food!

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Baby choking/vomiting on all food!

Postby rec1984 » 09 May 2016, 21:06

Hi, my son is 6 1/2 months old and I attempted to start weaning him a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to do BLW and he will put sticks of veg/fruit/porridge bars in his mouth (sometimes!) but if anything breaks off and actually sits on his tongue he gags and vomits :( I therefore tried puree (and all stages of texture in between) but the same thing happens! In fact he seems to hate the taste of everything I have pureed, even if mixed with breastmilk (which he loves!). I've tried sweet and savoury, puree, lumpy, on a spoon (he bats it away or clamps his mouth shut), giving him the spoon (nothing gets in his mouth).

It's as if he doesn't know how to swallow, or he panics as soon as anything is on his tongue as so initiates the gag reflex. If he was younger I would assume he is too young but at nearly 7 months he should be able to manage right?! If I should just persevere, should it be with puree or BLW? How many times a day should I offer him food or retry foods he appears to hate?

Has anyone experienced this or have any advice?? Any guidance is much appreciated!!!

Thank you!
rec1984

Re: Baby choking/vomiting on all food!

Postby StJuniper » 09 May 2016, 21:17

This is actually surprisingly normal! Because babies' gag reflex is located quite far forwards on their tongue, and because they aren't very good at manipulating food around their mouth yet (practice makes perfect!), babies, especially those with a sensitive gag reflex to begin with, can end up vomiting when food lands on the gag reflex. It's not choking, and in fact means that his body is very effectively preventing any food from getting near his airways!

Practice is the most important thing, but you will find with experimentation which types of food are more likely to set him off. It's not fun to clean up after, but it's normal and it will pass.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby rec1984 » 09 May 2016, 21:31

Thank you for replying so quickly! Can you suggest anything I should/could try as it seems everything sets him off at the moment? Or do I just persevere with a selection of finger foods +/- purees?
rec1984

Postby StJuniper » 09 May 2016, 23:24

What fruits and veg have you tried so far? It might be worth trying a firmer texture if you've been doing really soft things. Something he can suck on to get the juice out without it breaking apart into little bits in his mouth? Steak strips, melon, strawberry, cucumber sticks...
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Lily » 10 May 2016, 05:35

Try to avoid things that go mushy or stick to the roof of the mouth when you eat them - bread is one of the worst, and things like banana or mashed potato aren't great either. As StJ says, firm things he can suck on would be good, or you could try crispier, drier foods such as toast. The gag reflex eases up very quickly, so he'll grow out of this phase soon.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Return to New to BLW?