New and scared

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

New and scared

Postby Jdemeo1 » 09 May 2016, 20:03

Hello ladies! My son is 6 months old and we started purees a little over a month ago. I am scared to try BLW as he has actually made himself throw up when a small chunk from the apple puree was in the back of his throat. I am scared and unsure exactly what to try and how to prepare it. I see that everyone says steamed carrots or fruits but how do I know how big to cut it or how well to steam it? If I was to try the avocado first, do you just cut up pieces of the avocado and let the baby grab at it? Sorry for all the questions, I am just so nervous on the right thing to do
Jdemeo1

Re: New and scared

Postby yorkshirepudding » 09 May 2016, 20:15

Hi, welcome!

Have you read the Getting Started page above? Adult finger sized chunks can be gripped ok with an end to chew on. Roasting veg makes it soft but with a firmish outside to help them grab. Avocado is quite tricky for babies (and me!) to pick up, you could spread it on toast/ rice cake for him to gum/ lick off. Sounds like he gagged on the apple purée, that's good, he's designed to do that until he's got more control over chewing (even with no teeth) and swallowing. Easy to say but try and relax, give him some bits of what you're having, avoiding salt, whole nuts/ grapes/ cherry tomatoes/ raw carrot for choking hazard, honey (until 1 year).
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Return to New to BLW?