confusing myself re amounts if food v milk 6 months

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

confusing myself re amounts if food v milk 6 months

Postby wheresthemanual » 07 May 2016, 12:35

Hi,

I imagine there is an obvious answer to this but I feel like I've got myself into a rather obsessed muddle!

We've been doing blw since 24 weeks so around two weeks now. At first it was great. He was happy to just have a go, managed to eat some things or happily gnaw at others. However this last week he has got steadily more frustrated and it seems the issue is he wants to actually eat more but can't. For instance he demolished the 2 sweet potato wedges I gave him last night and loved the beef but got very upset after a while of chomping it-constantly dropping it and picking it back up but crying/moaning whilst doing it. He approaches solids like he's starving and in the end I feel cruel because he gets so miserable once he cant eat what's remaining on his tray.

At only 26 weeks I'm wondering should I give him more edible food? He is very easily put of bf (its been a bumpy ride we with that) and I'm worried that if I follow his leaf and let him he will just fill up on anything he can actually eat. His weight gain had slowed markedly recently and he seems even less keen on bf so am worried he would cut back further which at this stage id not ideal is it?

I try to let him bf first but that makes fitting meals very hard especially around family meals and he tends to bf and sleep straight away so that when he wakes up it's quite near to next bf!

Sorry very long rambling post but I keep getting caught between letting him eat what he wants and protecting milk feeds
Thanks In advance!
wheresthemanual

Re: confusing myself re amounts if food v milk 6 months

Postby Kitcameron » 09 May 2016, 06:27

At just 26 weeks it's not imperative that they're eating three meals a day so just do what fits in with you. Continue with his milk feeds as normal and if he's awake when you're eating then give him some and if not then don't worry about it. At this age napping is a big obstacle with lots of babies and food as timings just don't seem to work, that's one of the reasons I liked blw. It's much more flexible in that if baby skips a meal or three, no worries. His naps will change fairly soon and you'll probably find yourself having an early lunch for a while so he can eat before sleeping and gradually his nap will move to after lunch so you can eat at normal times again.

Hope this helps.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby wheresthemanual » 09 May 2016, 17:41

Kitcameron thanks currently taking that advice with baby asleep through dinner!
wheresthemanual

Postby Kitcameron » 10 May 2016, 06:49

That's fine. You can always save some of your dinner for them to try at another time if you like.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Return to New to BLW?