New and in need of help

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

New and in need of help

Postby Mummy to boys » 06 May 2016, 16:07

Hi I'm new to the forum and was looking for advice my son Jacob is 9 months old 7 months corrected he was 9 weeks premature and has been through a lot for the last few weeks we have been weaning only puree and mashed food he doesn't seem to interested and would still rather have milk but he has severe reflux so constant milk feeds is challenging I've been looking into info on blw and tbh I feel overwhelmed by all the information and just don't know where to start he has had rusks and the odd piece of toast but he mainly cries and won't pick it up off the tray I have to hand him it I'm worried he won't eat enough to be full if he feeds himself and I just don't know what to do so I was hoping for some tips on where to start
Mummy to boys

Re: New and in need of help

Postby mamapup » 06 May 2016, 20:31

Welcome. Breathe!

I'm afraid I don't know anything about reflux but I have successfully (ish) weaned two kids the blw way so I can promise you he'll start eating eventually. Even if he weren't premature he might not be eating at this stage. There are plenty of people on this site whose kids barely ate anything until way after one. And remember the mantra you'll have seen dotted around the place? Say it with me: "food is for fun until they're one"! I appreciate that you might not feel that to be the case with a reflux-y baby but one of the big things about blw is letting the child discover food in his/her own time, safe in the knowledge that they're getting everything they need from milk until they do.

This is often easier said than done, I know I struggled when my first child barely did more than chuck food around for months on end.

So, where to start? Well, I know a famous quote about starting at the very beginning! So do that, start at the beginning: just chuck some bits and pieces from your plate in front of him and see what happens. Or, sit with him on your knee while you're eating, he'll soon get interested. He might just chuck, squeeze and destroy for a while but it's all about him learning about food in his own time.

Just avoid nuts, whole grapes, whole tomatoes, raw carrot and honey until he's one. Otherwise, full steam ahead. Does it help to know that my kids started on wildly inappropriate foods because they just helped themselves one day? I figured after the inappropriate start it really didn't matter what I gave them! One had a salt beef sandwich and the other two spoons of ice cream to begin their eating journeys.

Roast veg is probably where most of us start. Cut baton shaped and the roast and serve. Or strips of meat. or rice cakes and hummus.

Good luck and feel free to ask as many questions as you need.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Kitcameron » 07 May 2016, 08:21

It sounds like you've started just fine, by giving him what you have in. When we started with our 2nd (much more relaxed as she was our second so probably a better example lol) she started sitting in her high chair with us whilst we were eating and then one day I gave her a loaded spoon of cheese sauce as her sister had rejected it lol. She wolfed that down so we gave her a couple of other things off our plates which she mostly just played with. Cheese sauce and spoons probably aren't traditional first food for blw but my point is she just had bits of what we had. With our first we often made her specific food as our diet isn't great tbh, but that was depressing and stressful when she didn't eat it, so now we try and eat better and just all eat the same. For a long time CM wanted to eat off loaded spoons so we ate a lot of sticky things like rice, shepherds pie, mashed potato, mashed swede and carrot, thick soups etc but we also tried to have a few meals a week when it was something she needed to pick up using her hands to a) give us a bit more freedom whilst eating, b) get her used to feeding herself more independently and c) giving her a wider range of foods. Also we didn't like being so limited lol.

It did take quite a while before they started eating much. Although I k ew they could eat they just ate very small amounts until they were about 10/11 months. Now they eat more if they like the food and really trough it down but can live on air if we do something they're not so keen on and don't want to eat it lol. We usually have a couple of days a week where we don't all eat together too so we can eat foods they just won't touch at all, but they're older now so don't need us as an example quite so much, plus they have each other. It's best to eat with your lo when first starting out so he can copy what you're doing, even really overexagerate the jaw move,net so he can see what you're doing. It doesn't have to be a full meal if they doesn't tie in with you're day but even just sitting with a cuppa and a small snack will help.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Mummy to boys » 11 May 2016, 18:49

Thanks for the replies he's done much better than I thought he would so far we have had scrambled egg and toast sweet potato carrot batons and broccoli he's had some white fish some bread and normal potato and has loved every minute of feeding himself he's actually eating more than I expected too we have had a few gagging moments where he has just stuffed too much in at once but has sorted himself out altho he has been sick from gagging on 1 of the times plus he's been ill too with a bath cough and cold so I'm even more surprised he's done so well :)
Mummy to boys

Postby Treeb » 11 May 2016, 18:53

Glad to see such a positive post! :D Sounds like you are off to a great start and hopefully be starts to grow out of the reflux soon.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby Kitcameron » 12 May 2016, 06:40

Yey, that sounds great.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Return to New to BLW?