New to BLW and feeling stressed

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

New to BLW and feeling stressed

Postby Camillaalice » 04 May 2016, 19:21

This is my second baby. She's 10 almost 11 months now and I'm really struggling with weaning.
With my first wee girl who's nearly 3 now weaned totally fine. I didn't do BLW as such. Was definitely purée and spoons but also right from the word go she also had solid versions of whatever the purée was and more - pasta veggies bread etc and she was great. And still is. Olives asparagus prawn stir fries still on the menu which is great as we as a family have a pretty eclectic menu at times :D

Anyway i was hoping to follow the same path with my lovely little number 2 but they're right when they say not one child is the same. So I'm completely out of my comfort zone.
I started weaning at 6 months but the only solid food she wanted to try was crusty bread and any fruit and was super keen on very very smooth purées. Preferably from a pouch (which was my cheat when out and about) I think because the stage 1 ones are so sweet.
Anyway as time went on she started to refuse ANY of my food purred mashed or solid (unless it was bread or fruit) and started getting really mad if I tried to spoon feed her. She swipes her hand across her mouth - her way of telling me no. But then I get stressed and anxious and I think maybe that has given her a negative association ........

Because of this I have started to look into 'proper' BLW. Not very successfully :(
I make her a variety of meals. Some a success. Most often not.
The problem is texture I think. She won't touch pasta, or fish, or if I put soup on her bread she'll throw it away. And many many more things. She will touch it and then start flapping her arms and wriggling her fingers to get it off. And not put it in her mouth to taste it.
I admit that in my frustration I will sometimes sneak a little bit into her mouth when she's about to put some bread in or take a drink. And sometimes of she gets a taste, she realise she likes it, then devours the whole meal. Sometimes more the her sister!! :? And I feel relieved. But then if that sneaky wee bit I put in her mouth (I know! Not in the nature of BLW) if she doesn't like it she gets cross with me - understandably and then I feel terrible. But then what about the times she's really liked it.....
I feel stressed and upset so much of the time. I spend so much time making new stuff for her not to touch it. I try and keep the mantra I read 'food is fun until they're 1' going round in my head and mostly this works and the last few weeks I have just plastered a smile on my face and said to myself she'll eat when's she's ready. When she's hungry. But inside I'm crying. I think I've just become overly fixated on this and need to vent. Find people to talk to about my frustrations. I don't want to do wrong by her.

She is on 3 5oz bottles of formula. 1 when she wakes 1 after lunch and 1 before bed.

She is thriving. I spoke to the health visitor who didn't seem overly concerned. Adviced cutting a bottle feed which I did, and supported baby led weaning.

Maybe I should just be happy that she eats all fruit and would be happy to survive on bread cheese, cream cheese, cheese&spinach muffins and yogurt. (She does have yogurt on as spoon but she is able to do this herself if I load it up-although she often opens her mouth for me to put it in - I'm trying to stick with her being in control - as much as I can.

I didn't think I was this person - to get so stressed out about this. :( :( :(
Camillaalice

Return to New to BLW?