Food = wind!

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Food = wind!

Postby sleepysaz » 30 Jan 2016, 09:56

Hi all

We started BLW a couple of weeks ago now, and it seems to be going fairly well (LO eats bits of stuff in between throwing other bits on the floor!!). We haven't been slow in introducing a variety of food, generally just offering bits of whatever we're having in a form that she can get hold of. She does seem to be suffering a bit from wind at night though - she is waking up more frequently, raising her legs and grunting/farting! She doesn't seem to be constipated.

I guess I am just looking for a bit of reassurance that this is fairly normal for the early days of weaning. Did this happen to your LO and did it improve on its own? Should I try giving her tea slightly earlier (we eat around 6 and bedtime is usually 7)?

Thank you!
sleepysaz

Re: Food = wind!

Postby Kitcameron » 30 Jan 2016, 12:44

I think it is fairly common. Probably something condo with their digestive systems getting use to solid food or something. How long into the night is she waking with wind? I don't know whether making tea any earlier would help or not tbh.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby sleepysaz » 30 Jan 2016, 14:32

She's waking up and waving her legs around from about 3am onwards (and usually wakes once before that to bf). As it's the early hours probably eating earlier wouldn't make too much of a difference.
sleepysaz

Postby Lily » 30 Jan 2016, 14:54

My 9mo still does this. Boring isn't it? But yes, they grow out of it eventually - I think they learn to fart in their sleep...
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby MamaKh » 01 Feb 2016, 22:37

Throwing in a wild card... Here nightly wind means a poo is needing to come out. I hold him over the potty (back to my belly, supported under thighs) and quickly it all comes out, and we can come back to sleep in peace. But if I leave him he will kick around for at least half an hour before doing it in the diaper, and then we have to get up anyways...
Mother of DS1 July 2012, DS2 Sept 2015
BF, Co Sleeping, Sling, EC, BLW, Active parenting, all inspirations and aspirations
MamaKh

Postby sleepysaz » 02 Feb 2016, 17:14

Ha ha Lily yes boring is one word for it! I am partly reassured by your post and partly horrified that this could continue for 3 months and beyond... :D

Mama - it usually means the same for us but I'm not sure she'd go 'on demand' like that, might be worth a try though.

Thanks everyone for your replies!
sleepysaz

Return to New to BLW?