Gaggin/Vomiting

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Gaggin/Vomiting

Postby vanbaby » 27 Jan 2016, 15:07

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you could help a nervous mama :) Admittedly we are not doing full BLW and my 8 month old is spoonfed some of his meals, but I am offering finger foods as well. Each time I do though it seems he ends up vomiting. I'm pretty sure he's gagging (and not choking), but perhaps I can describe the latest incident? This morning I gave him a hunk of banana and he bit off a rather large piece. After a moment of two, he started gagging a bit (with little sounds) and then he had a couple of larger gagging motions that were pretty much silent. By the end of those, he vomited and a large chunk came up with it. Does that sound like gagging? Is it normal/common for the vomiting to happen?

Thanks for your help :)
vanbaby

Re: Gaggin/Vomiting

Postby StJuniper » 27 Jan 2016, 15:44

It's no fun but pretty normal for vomiting to follow gagging. Some babies have more sensitive gag reflexes and are more prone to it. Try to stay relaxed so he sees its not a big deal, and keep offering-- practice makes perfect in this case!
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby vanbaby » 27 Jan 2016, 15:51

Thanks for your reply. That's what I was thinking, but it's good to hear! I have managed to stay fairly calm during the episode, but I definitely don't like it ;) It helps to know that it can be normal.

So when your baby bites off a bit that you are sure is too big for them, you just let them handle it, right? What if they were also wanting to shove the next bit in too? Don't interfere I assume, right?
vanbaby

Postby StJuniper » 27 Jan 2016, 16:43

Right. The gag reflex is located far forward on the tongue and will activate if a too-big chunk gets near it, so baby will learn by trial and error how big of bites they can handle, and how many at a time.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Treeb » 27 Jan 2016, 19:52

It's also good to note that you should never try to swipe food out of baby's mouth with your finger because this can inadvertantly push the food further in and actually cause choking. So even when you can see that they've got too much it is best to just sit on your hands and let them gag it out.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby vanbaby » 27 Jan 2016, 20:06

Thanks ladies. Yes, I do remember that about the finger sweep from my first aid classes. Sitting on my hands might be a good idea!
vanbaby

Return to New to BLW?