I've got a screamer!

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

I've got a screamer!

Postby KTB » 19 Jan 2016, 09:23

Hi all

New member here :)

I did pure BLW with my 1st kid from 24 weeks and she took to everything we gave her and really enjoyed the eating experience. We loved watching her.

my 2nd is 24 weeks and we started 10 days ago when she started grabbing and wanting to eat our food. The problem is, she screams! She arches her back and has a full melt down.

I think she is screaming when stickier foods get stuck on the roof of her mouth - which so far is anything from steamed carrot, sweet potato, pumpkin, chicken, among others. So, it's limiting what we can give her (I tried blending some things and making a pattie for her to hold but it was too sticky and started the screaming over again). More importantly, it is making the meals times distressing for her, and for us.

She also screams if a bit breaks off and nears her throat, like a finger nail size of broccoli stem.

Finally, she burps every time she finishes! My 1st never did this, is it unusual?

I'm frustrated because we had such an enjoyable time with our first and really wanted it to work with this baby too.

Does anyone have any advice about these things? I'd be really grateful for some support/input/feedback!

:)
KTB

Re: I've got a screamer!

Postby junglewonderland » 19 Jan 2016, 13:41

Oh, that sounds tricky! Is bub generally quite sensitive?

Sorry, I don't have any brilliant suggestions but maybe keep trying different textures. How would she go with a finger of toast crust? Something that she has to munch on until it is soft and disintegrates.
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby Kitcameron » 19 Jan 2016, 13:56

Could she possibly be not quite ready do you think? She sounds like she's only just 6 months so she's still only just at that magical age. Some babies start early and some aren't ready quite so soon. Maybe you could give her a weeks break from eating to see if that helps. Or maybe do food play with her rather than meals?
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Lily » 19 Jan 2016, 14:10

Back arching and burping sounds to me more like tummy ache than a texture issue. I agree with kc, she's so tiny that maybe her gut just isn't quite ready yet. Hopefully she'll grow out of it soon, either way!
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby KTB » 19 Jan 2016, 14:12

junglewonderland she has been a bit more sensitive than my older one - lots more crying generally and more gassy/needing more burps. I did think to just stick to things she can deal with rather than trying to encourage more of a variety at this stage. Thanks for the encouragement :)

Kitcameron I'm not really sure! She is super keen to eat and completely demolishes some of the things she can eat like broccoli and oat sticks (I blend the oats into smaller pieces, eat in the microwave with water and make porridge fingers, the larger oats make her cry). I think it is that in between scenario where she is ready emotionally but perhaps not physically for all foods?

I am really hoping to make it work, we had so much fun with our older one watching her enjoy it all.
KTB

Postby KTB » 19 Jan 2016, 14:13

Lily you may be right, and I hope you're right about her growing out of it soon! Thanks :)

In the meantime, do you think it's okay to stick with the foods that she can stomach? Mango, avocado, broccoli, oats, etc.
KTB

Postby Kitcameron » 19 Jan 2016, 18:17

Yeah definitely, especially if she's keen to eat, if you know there's food she can eat without getting distressed I'd maybe stick to them for a short while.
Kitcameron

Postby yorkshirepudding » 19 Jan 2016, 18:31

My first was burpy after meals to start with which surprised me too. He had reflux and was very windy generally, and did suffer a bit with his guts getting used to solids. But as far as I can remember we just let him carry on and he was ok. He didn't cry during meals just you could hear the gas in his guts at night! Hope your lo is a happy eater soon!
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby KTB » 20 Jan 2016, 06:32

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the input. Great forum!
KTB

Postby KTB » 21 Jan 2016, 04:11

Well just a quick update. Today she was off her food, but no more screamy than usual. Then I discovered... a tooth! Her first. I guess I'll stick to colder softer things for a bit?
KTB

Postby yorkshirepudding » 21 Jan 2016, 05:57

Little E has 2 bottom teeth and top 2 are so nearly through! She loves biting hard on bread crusts, and is stuffing most foods in. Just try whatever food unless it seems to be upsetting her.
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby Kitcameron » 21 Jan 2016, 09:05

Cold cucumber sticks can make good teethers though. My girls go off food if I well or cutting teeth too. I just keep offering as normal as YP said and when they're ready they'll eat again. The benefit of having two is that if one doesn't eat dinner the other usually hoovers it up lol.
Kitcameron

Return to New to BLW?