Baby prefers purees?

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Baby prefers purees?

Postby Mami » 18 Jan 2016, 20:53

My son is 7 1/2 months old, we started BLW just after the 6-month mark with enthusiasm. First I would steam him vegetables and fruits, then add penne, raw apples and pears, bread with cream or yoghurt etc. He would taste them, sometimes bite off a piece, suck on it and spit it back out. He did not enjoy foods that became mush in his mouth or hand (steamed pumpkin especially revolted him.) Occasionally he would swallow these pieces whole, but he has no teeth yet and no idea about chewing.
Two weeks ago we decided to take the next step, and cook all our meals salt-free, so he could partake, much to the same effect. Except for three occasions, when I made creamsoups (cellery, broccoli and white bean). I served them to him in a small bowl, and put some on a spoon. He always grabs the spoon and feeds himself. To my surprise he grabbed the bowl and (messily) drank the soup from it. He even wanted more.
Now I am very confused. Maybe he is craving food and nutrients and only the chewing is keeping him from eating more? I chose blw because I didn't want to force him to eat, but ai don't want to keep him from eating either.

Has this happened to anyone else? Should I switch to puree, but with a blw-attitude?
Mami to Bauki *May 2015
Mami

Re: Baby prefers purees?

Postby Marrow » 18 Jan 2016, 21:31

A baby self-feeding mushy food is absolutely BLW. So firstly, don't worry that you are breaking some stupid rule.

And secondly, do what works for you. If you like soup and he likes soup, I don't see a problem. Baby-friendly ways of serving soup or yoghurt or hummus or anything like that are on loaded spoons, as a drink, with dippers of some sort, smeared on toast, or just digging in hands and licking.

At some point, everyone will be bored of soup ;) If he sees you eating other food, he'll get curious and want to copy.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby mamapup » 18 Jan 2016, 21:48

He isn't hungry for real food yet...or at least most aren't at this age. Most babies who are taken down the blw route get the majority of their nutrients from milk for a good long time. So don't panic about him being hungry for food and.yoy starving him! Puree really isn't very nutritious anyway (or so my friends here tell me!) so it wouldn't fill him up.

He will learn about chewing soon enough. Both mine loved soup to begin with because it was easy, tasty and they could do what we were doing. Now? Won't touch the stuff.

He will get there, sit back and let him play with food and learn about it. Easier said than done for sure, but it does work.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby mindy » 19 Jan 2016, 15:28

Sounds like he is doing brilliantly to me!
Two adorable, headstrong daughters: Roo born Sept 2008, Min born April 2011, and small boy who arrived Summer 2015
mindy

Postby Kitcameron » 20 Jan 2016, 14:28

My second was just the same. She mostly ate spoon foods til well over year old. They we still adult foods and part of our ears but they just came served in a spoon, like soup, shepherds pie, spaghetti hoops, rice was a big favourite and still is, etc etc. Some babies don't like getting their hands dirty, which was not the case with CM as she now eats yoghurt and lots of other things with her hands and makes a right mess, but that could be it or he might just prefer to use a spoon for now. Cauliflower cheese was another good one. It did mean I sort of mashed things up a little bit, like cauliflower cheese she'd have the smaller bits that could be easily got onto a spoon rather than bigger buts which would have fallen off, but you'd be surprised how much can be eaten off a spoon without pureeing. He is just learning as well so this phase might not last very long anyway. I didnt swap to purees, I just made sure at least part of our meals could be eaten with a spoon lol.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Mami » 22 Jan 2016, 12:47

Thankyou so much for your answers. I read earlier, but answering takes a bit of effort, and we had hectic week... :scream

Well, I still didn't switch to purees, though I watched a friend spoonfeed her baby and I got a bit envious, because getting his hands (the table, the floor, his moms shirt...) dirty is certainly not my sons issue. It just seems like he just wants more of the foods that do not take the effort of biting, chewing and possibly gagging. But he does like tasting new foods, and is not as exited about the rather bland mixture traditional purees are. I don't want to make eating harder for him than it needs to be, especially since he had tummy-issues since we started, and I want him to show me what he needs, baby-led and all that. But he is certainly not starving on almost only having breastmilk, he is a chubby little fellow. But if he wants more food, I want to give him more food in the form he prefers. I just cannot fathom starting the regular puree routine, and him liking it.

My husband, an all or nothing kind of guy, said we should just puree all our foods now or eat only food that comes in pureed form anyway. Well, I came along for the "We will all eat saltfree now"-Ride, but I am not riding the puree-train. :?
Mami to Bauki *May 2015
Mami

Postby mamapup » 22 Jan 2016, 22:17

That's the kind of thing MrC would say too!

He will get there, I promise. He'll have weeks where he devours everything you put in front of him and then times where he ears nothing but blueberries but he will eat.

You could have lots of soup and mashed potato for a bit! Or Mac and cheese.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Return to New to BLW?