Does EBF baby need additional protein in foods?

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Does EBF baby need additional protein in foods?

Postby Jennvanessa1083 » 17 Jan 2016, 19:44

Hi!

My son is 7 months old and I just switched to BLW. I was wondering at what point do I need to worry about a balanced diet such as a meal with protein, carbs, and healthy fats?

I have introduced some fruits, veggies, and oatmeal. So there is still so much to try! Do I just go for it or do I have to introduce a new food every couple of days?
Jennvanessa1083

Re: Does EBF baby need additional protein in foods?

Postby Treeb » 17 Jan 2016, 20:41

Just go for it! There is no need to wait between introducing foods unless you have a specific concern about allergies. And even then you'd probably only need to be careful around the most commonly allergic foods. If you are a bit nervous about it you can make sure to give me things early on in the day so you have longer to watch for a reaction (such as hives.)

You don't need to serve up full meals yet. Focus more on offering a variety over the course of a week. He'll still be getting most of his nutrition from milk so as long as you offer a good healthy variety for him to explore he'll naturally build up to eating exactly what he needs. Once he starts actually eating more (which may take a while) you'll notice he goes through phases such as loading up on carbs one week and then the next week wanting only fruits.

My daughter is 7 months and currently there are some days when she only has one meal with us and others when she joins us at every meal. This means that one day all we offer her is some veggies while another day she ends up having oatmeal, some toast with peanut butter and some fruit. I just give her whatever makes sense from the meal we're having or if there is nothing suitable in the meal I go with something easy like a rice cake with something spread on it or some fruit.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby KTB » 21 Jan 2016, 05:37

With my first we tried to introduce the usual allergins once every few days (ie peanut butter, egg, dairy, wheat) but other than that fed her everything from day dot. The only thing I was actually really cautious about was introducing peanut butter when I was in a location near a hospital :)

The advice I received was if baby is starting to get overwhelmed try not to introduce too much too soon, but generally there's no need to restrain.
KTB

Postby Jennvanessa1083 » 23 Jan 2016, 21:48

This awesoe advice ladies thank you! My son so far is gobbling up everything I put in front of him haha!
Jennvanessa1083

Return to New to BLW?