Baby Eats what We Eat? Spices?

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Baby Eats what We Eat? Spices?

Postby Jennvanessa1083 » 15 Jan 2016, 16:58

Hi!

I'm about to embark on a BLW journey with my 7 month old. He's done puree but I want to wean to BLW. Anyways, reading everything on the topic, I'm confused about spices and things like that. Do I separate what we are going to have for dinner and make my sons food bland? Do they tolerate spice?

I thought (from what I read) spices should be introduced around 8 months. My pediatrician was vague and said everything goes except honey. What do other mamas do?

My husband and I love highly flavored food. We eat lots of lean protein veggies and fruits with the occasional grain and dairy. Does my son eat this?

Any times are so appreciated. I'm so nervous that he won't be able to handle our food!
Jennvanessa1083

Re: Baby Eats what We Eat? Spices?

Postby Kanga » 15 Jan 2016, 17:02

Unless it is really spicy there's no reason he shouldn't be able to eat it. The thing to watch for is salt so I don't add to cooking, we add it at the table, but other spices/flavourings are fine.
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby pirate_han » 15 Jan 2016, 17:47

My children have eaten spiced food from six months with no adverse effects. Your paediatrician is correct; your son can eat whatever you do.
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Postby Lily » 15 Jan 2016, 18:18

WTS but also to add that fats are important for LOs, so you may need to give him some extras in addition to your (very healthy!) diet. Things like Greek yogurt, nut butters, fried or roasted veggies rather than just steamed etc. Dairy is fine to use in cooking, but it should be full-fat for babies rather than skimmed.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Jennvanessa1083 » 15 Jan 2016, 21:00

Thanks ladies this is helpful! I feel like everything I have been reading and doing is so old school lol

I thought yogurt can be introduced at 8 months, spices were off limits and only a very few selection of fruits and veggies were ok. I feel like my world is being rocked lol
Jennvanessa1083

Postby yorkshirepudding » 15 Jan 2016, 21:25

I've already replied to your other post, but just as an example, my lo is 7mo tomorrow, and has fruit toast/ porridge pancakes (search the recipe thread)/ porridge on a preloaded spoon for breakfast (depending how messy I am prepared to let her get!); bit of someone's sandwich (hummus/ nut butter/ cheese on toast/ egg mayo) for lunch; today's dinner was veg stew and dumplings, I preload spoons with sloppy bits and cut the veg into chip sized pieces for her to grab. Oh then she had a second dinner with her brother, homemade fish fingers.

She loves roast squash/ sweet potato, baked potatoes with butter (cut in wedges),bread, and plain Greek yoghurt! Oh and clotted cream on a spoon from my cream tea :D She's still not eating much but has definitely moved on to chewing things and swallowing in the last few weeks, but don't expect your lo to actively 'eat' as though he's hungry to start with. Although he might! And don't compare what he eats to other purée fed babies, that always made me anxious with my first. I'm planning on making a few different batches of savoury pancakes this weekend, for the freezer, which I can give her if she's ready to eat when we're not, and for out and about food.

Yep avoid honey (small risk of botulism until over 1), choking hazards like whole grapes, whole cherry tomatoes and whole nuts, and raw apple/ carrot (soften it or grate). And salt! Sounds like you don't eat much sugar anyway.

Hope that helps!
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby ches » 15 Jan 2016, 23:57

It sounds like you're in the US, so I wanted to point out that by Greek yoghurt we mean full-fat Greek yoghurt. Seems all you can get here is 0% except at Trader Joe's, but then that one has honey in it...

My only concern with spices was little hands rubbing spice in tired eyes. A lot of spicy food tends to be salty if you're not making it fresh yourself.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby Treeb » 16 Jan 2016, 01:12

Idk where you shop Ches, but the main grocery stores here (Price Chopper and ShopRite are the ones we go to, and also our co-op) have Greek Gods brand yogurt that is plain and full fat. I'm pretty sure I've also seen plain full fat by Chobani. It's all the big tubs though, so if you're looking for little individual cups there aren't any plain and full fat that I know of!
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby Jennvanessa1083 » 17 Jan 2016, 18:55

This sounds great ladies and so helpful! I started him off with veggies and fruits. He loves it! I hope to start expanding his meals now.

One question for nut butters I assume you give them unsalted ones correct?

Is whole wheat toast ok? He only has two bottom teeth that are slowly growing in so I'm wondering if this is ok for him to basically gum.
Jennvanessa1083

Postby Treeb » 17 Jan 2016, 20:49

Whole wheat toast should be fine. I have heard that giving too many whole grains to babies can be a bit rough on their digestion, but mine have never had an issue with it and I figure they eat such a tiny bit at first is not enough to really affect them.

Salt free nut butters would be great if you can find them. I've always used regular ones, and again figure that the small amount they actually swallow at first keeps them from taking in too much salt. It's fine to give salty things (like cheese or nut butter) now and then as long as you are aware of it and balance it with mostly salt free foods the rest of the time.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby Lily » 17 Jan 2016, 21:01

Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Jennvanessa1083 » 19 Jan 2016, 17:04

Haha! This should be interesting!
Jennvanessa1083

Return to New to BLW?