Unsure 2 months in... Is this right for my baby?

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Unsure 2 months in... Is this right for my baby?

Postby racheladav » 15 Jan 2016, 14:42

Hi all,

We've been doing blw from 6 months. Baby is now 8 months. I know some babies take a while to get going. However I'm not sure if we're even moving in the right direction.

My boy picks food up and takes it to his mouth just fine, but doesn't chew. Everything comes right back out. He still has as much trouble as ever moving food around his mouth especially from back to front. He gags often, vomits sometimes, and choked for the first time last night. He went bright red then purple and looked terrified, before coughing it up. Then he was fine and carried on as though it hadn't happened.

I'm not worried about how much he eats as I know he's getting enough nutrition from milk. But I wonder if this is right for him. He seems to enjoy different tastes, so maybe he'd prefer puree's?

Anyone had the same kind of journey? Is the lack of chewing and swallowing normal? Maybe I'm giving him the wrong foods? Although I'm using the blw cookbook... Should I carry on or perhaps give him a break of a few weeks to develop a bit more?

Thank you!
racheladav

Re: Unsure 2 months in... Is this right for my baby?

Postby Kitcameron » 15 Jan 2016, 14:55

It's really up to you whether you carry on or give him a break but I would say it's fairly normal for it to take a while. Quite often it's like something has suddenly clicked and they start eating more for some reason. My first daughter didn't start properly eating until she was 10.5 months when she suddenly stopped BF overnight, with dd2 it was more gradual.

If he's happy putting things in his mouth and spitting them back out again I'd probably keep going as its giving him practise and he's getting used to mealtime routines but if it's majorly stressing either of you out a bit of a break might help calm things down for a while. I know it can be quite an anxious time as you wait for them to start eating properly as I've been there too but it really is a waiting game as much as anything.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Lily » 15 Jan 2016, 15:03

Do you eat with him? He might find it helpful to see you eating the same things as him, and even making exaggerated chewing movements so he can see how it's supposed to work!
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby racheladav » 15 Jan 2016, 19:06

Hiya, I always eat with him, but will try to make more obvious chewing motions... Teach him to eat with his mouth shut later huh?! I've just done a bit more research and maybe I've started a bit too adventurous... He's having pasta and chicken and beef burgers and lentil pancakes and lots of other stuff... Might need to go back to really soft foods? He seems better with something he can smash up in his mouth. How will I know when he's ready to move on and chew?

It was raw apple he choked on... Now I see raw apple is a common problem! Shame, it was so easy and he loved sucking on it! I just tried it fried in butter and nutmeg, which I thought was delicious. He did not agree.

Any other really simple easy first food favorites you can recommend?
racheladav

Postby StJuniper » 15 Jan 2016, 20:36

Mine took a solid two years to get good at apples. But there's nothing wrong with those other foods you mentioned; mine were having that sort of thing from the get-go.

It may be he just has a very strong gag reflex. My elder son had a much stronger one than my younger (and indeed, my DH has a much stronger one than I do). Honestly, I'm with KC. If he's happy and getting lots of good nutrition from his milk, I'd just try to be patient. He'll get it in his own time. I don't think I'd go backwards in terms of texture-- babies who spend too long with soft, mushy textures tend to be the ones that have trouble transitioning as time goes on.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Return to New to BLW?