Help please, confused after nursery visit.

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Help please, confused after nursery visit.

Postby mumto9month » 07 Jan 2016, 08:36

Hi, I have been lurking here for some time but never posted. I started BLW shortly after my son became 6 months old, it was the usual story with him not eating much but slowly he started to consume more but there is still a lot of waste or just playing with the food at 9 months old. He mostly likes chicken, cheese and crab (fish) sticks!

I have been reassured by these pages that I'm not starving him as he is still getting most of his nutrition from milk any way. I have been a bit concerned as his spoon fed peers seem to be sleeping through the night now but he wakes up a minimum of 3 times for milk (he is picky with milk and likes a long break in between finishing a bottle).

Anyway this hasn't been an issue though and I have pushed on with BLW but now I am going back to full time work and he has started a nursery where they fill in a diary after his visit. They asked me about dietary requirements and I said none although said he will feed himself. On his first proper visit they spoon fed him mince, mash, carrot (mushed) and gravy which he ate all of - he also slept much better than normal. Now I'm concerned that by feeding himself he isn't getting enough, any thoughts please?

Thanks in advance.
mumto9month

Re: Help please, confused after nursery visit.

Postby pirate_han » 07 Jan 2016, 08:55

Food before one is for fun. He should be getting the majority of his nutrition from milk at 9 months, so it sounds like he's doing fabulously. My almost-one year old still wakes through the night <sigh> although I refuse to feed him until 6am now. I personally would have put the extra sleep down to the huge stimulation of nursery as compared to the calm home environment he is used to.

Are you concerned they spoon fed him after you'd said he'd feed himself? When my eldest started nursery it was important to me they didn't feed her. I think I showed her key worker a couple of videos on my phone of her eating to get my point across.
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Postby sabrina fair » 07 Jan 2016, 09:21

What pH said! My kids are always zonked after nursery so it's probably that! Also, kids behave differently at nursery (mine would eat all kinds of food they wouldn't at home) so even if you wanted to spoon feed him similar foods, he may well have other ideas!
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby mumto9month » 07 Jan 2016, 09:28

Thank you for your quick responses. I didn't think that it may just have due to tiredness lol, my mind instantly jumped to food. I don't think I mind them feeding him because I don't want to be awkward and all the babies get the same (good quality) meals. I think it just worried me that he took to it so easily and ate it all when at home the majority ends up wasted.

I guess I just need to keep remembering that it's just for fun but have to admit it's hard when his purree friends all sleep much better and I'm going back to working 13 hour shifts :(
mumto9month

Postby pirate_han » 07 Jan 2016, 14:01

A is BLW but eats LOADS. The kid can eat an entire baked potato with cheese and beans in seconds and then demand fruit and yogurt. Yet still, a good night means one or two wakings! You're not alone even if it feels that way :)
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Return to New to BLW?