Starting BLW - do you have to eat together

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Starting BLW - do you have to eat together

Postby Pippin » 06 Jan 2016, 20:45

I'm thinking of starting BLW but I am worried about having to eat together. Our daughter goes to sleep at 7 and my husband and I tend to eat at 8 when he's back from work. She also sleeps during lunch time. Do I have to eat with her and therefore have 2 lunches and 2 suppers?
Pippin

Re: Starting BLW - do you have to eat together

Postby yorkshirepudding » 06 Jan 2016, 20:54

Eat with her when you can, maybe have a little bit of what she's having (which could be what you're having later if it's something you can make ahead) when she has dinner. Don't worry about lunch, she doesn't have to have the standard 3 meals at the start, my lo has some food if she's about when we're eating, but she missed dinner the other night because she slept at an odd time and it didn't affect her at all. You could always give her a lunchy snack before or after her nap, (left overs are good, and I often give mine a bread crust to chew whilst I'm preparing a meal, think she likes it on her sore gums) but not if you have other things to do or places to go.

They can take a while to 'get' eating, so she might just be playing and tasting for a while.
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby Fuz-Chan » 07 Jan 2016, 10:39

I'd have a snack with her for her "dinner". It really doesn't matter, you could just have a yoghurt or something, banana, afternoon snacky type thing, and let her have the same? she doesn't need "dinner" like we think of it yet! and yeah, skip lunch times if she is sleeping through it!
Fuz-Chan

Postby busmother » 07 Jan 2016, 14:10

If it's just the two of you at lunch time, you can have it when you like. We usually have our lunch at 11, before his sleep, and then maybe another snack in the afternoon. I now find it very difficult at weekends when I'm on 'normal' meal times, and I'm ravenous by lunchtime, but it works during the week. I think with my twins, we did it the other way round, and I'd have a morning snack and then we'd have a later sit-down 'lunch' after their nap, in the afternoon.
Mother to twin buses, born 2010, and number 3, born 2015
busmother

Postby Pippin » 09 Jan 2016, 09:26

Thank you for your help. I think we'll start with breakfast together and add in another "meal" in a week or so!
Pippin

Return to New to BLW?