Reassurance needed for 9 month not eating

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Reassurance needed for 9 month not eating

Postby Bonkers » 05 Jan 2016, 14:04

I know all babies are different but I just need reassurance that she will eat eventually... It's making me doubt and I'm getting pressure to use baby cereal and home made mush. She'll pick some things up sometimes, like carrot, but won't even touch others like chicken. She is I think entirely texture driven. For example if I give her a loaded spoon, yogurt or some of our sauce, the spoon is the only thing she'll touch for the rest of the meal. I know the answer is to not give her a spoon but then the doubts creep in - she wakes 2+ times a night. She also gets thirsty but if I give her a cup she spills it everywhere, and then just chews the bottom.. So, a few minutes after I've cleaned up the area she wants a milk feed! (Bottle and cup refused).

Reassurance please and any tips most welcome. Thank you!
Bonkers

Re: Reassurance needed for 9 month not eating

Postby Lily » 05 Jan 2016, 14:27

She'll get it! Don't worry.

Lots of babies have strong preferences about texture. My son wouldn't even touch meat until he was about 3, and there are quite a few of us here whose kids have had phases of being very fastidious about mess (paint, mud etc). Just keep offering a variety and let her choose - after all, everyone has their own tastes. With my son, I found that offering a favourite alongside something new often encouraged him to branch out.

It's totally normal that she can't yet manage a cup. I certainly hold on to my 8mo's cup for her, and from what I recall, my older one was at least a year old before I let him have a cup unsupervised. I find it helps if I hold the base and let the baby hold onto the rim and/or handles, so she can learn to manipulate it herself.

Night waking is also normal at this age, and not necessarily related to hunger. There's a massive sleep regression at 9mo due to development spurts; she may also wake due to teething, learning to crawl, or some other mysterious baby thing. You could try night-weaning - I cut my son down to one overnight feed at about that age, and his sleep improved radically (but he was waking 6 or 8 times before weaning). On the other hand, you might also find that it makes no difference and she still wakes. Sleeping seems to be another one of those things that they just pick up in their own sweet time.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Kitcameron » 05 Jan 2016, 14:34

My first daughter was nearly 11 months when she started eating properly. I think for us the answer was just patience. But having been through it again second time round I know that's not easy, even when you have previous experience.

I don't let my 18 month old use a cup lol. Both my girls have Nuby water bottles. They had the ones with straws first and now have ones with more like a spurts bottle top. They have them lying around the house all day so they can drink whenever they want. The straw ones were Non spill so I never had to worry about drinks being knocked over.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Bonkers » 05 Jan 2016, 15:22

Oh thank you for the replies. I just needed to be told this was normal. It's so stressful but I know I shouldn't be stressed, she will eat eventually..

I might try a straw cup as well.

Reading this on the run but will absorb later and feel better!
Bonkers

Postby Kitcameron » 05 Jan 2016, 22:21

I think the straw bottle diet helped me relax a bit about drinking and then they relaxed too.
Kitcameron

Postby Bonkers » 05 Jan 2016, 22:31

I've got one non spill cup but she also just likes to turn it upside down and chew. I'll try the straw to see if that's a nice chew toy too!

I think she's also started to enjoy the game of get everything off the tray and onto the floor by any means possible. Do you keep putting food back on or take that as a sign of meal over?

Thanks again, I'm appreciating the support.
Bonkers

Postby Kitcameron » 07 Jan 2016, 13:46

It depends. It's all part if baby learning g about gravity so it doesn't necessarily mean that they don't want it anymore, they might just like watching you pick it back up again. Or it could mean there's too much on the tray and theyre a bit overwhelmed by it all or it could mean they've had enough.

I used topick it up a couple of times and then say if it was chucked again they wouldn't get it back. That did lead to screaming matches though sometimes when she threw it anyway and then I wouldn't give it back when she wanted
Kitcameron

Postby Bonkers » 07 Jan 2016, 14:19

Thank you, that's just what I did this lunch because I thought that could be the case. A strawberry was definitely a gravity test!

Was pleased though, she loved sucking the strawberry.
Bonkers

Postby Kitcameron » 07 Jan 2016, 18:42

Great. My girls both live strawberries lol
Kitcameron

Return to New to BLW?