We've taken our first messy steps!

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

We've taken our first messy steps!

Postby Amo_Angelus » 30 Dec 2015, 17:37

Baby J has been ready for food for a while. She's been telling me repeatedly to give her food, but I've abstained as I don't really want to start the whole weaning process. I want her to stay my little baby forever. I have issues, I'm working on them, but basically I can't have anymore children and I wanted lots, so I'm really clinging to her babyhood. But the Health Visitors said that she's ready, the breastfeeding consultants say that she's ready and the internet mostly say she's ready. Don't hurt me, but she's not 6months... She's 5months on Friday. So I might be a little justified in dragging my heels on this one.

She can sit up perfectly, unaided for over 15minutes.
Baby is able and willing to chew.
Baby is very interested in all things food.
Baby is repeatedly trying to steal my food.
Baby is developing a pincer grasp.
Baby doesn't push objects out of her mouth with her tongue.
Baby has doubled her birth weight.

Basically...anything you can find online as a sign of readiness applies except her age, and even that uses words like "generally" and "usually" and "most babies" indicating that some babies develop earlier. So I thought you know what...if she's ready she'll eat it, if not she'll have fun throwing it at me and moving it round the table. So today, on our way to the coffee shop we bought a snack pack of watermelon which I fully intended to eat part of myself. We got my coffee and went to sit down, placed her in the highchair, wiped the tray down and put a slice of watermelon on the tray. At first she just pushed it around the table, then she started grasping it and squeezing, watching it zoom out of her hands and just generally having fun. I did take the seeds out and remove the skin. Content and amused I picked the slice up off the try and bit into it and then handed it back to her. Oh her eyes! "This is food?!" Seconds later she was eating it. Straight into her mouth and she's proper chewing it and having so much fun with it!

Ok, I won't lie, like 99% of it ended up on the floor, her pretty white leggings look tye dyed pink and the tray was swimming with juice but she certainly ate some of it. I picked all the bits up and there is quite noticibly less in my pile than what I gave her! I only ended up having the one bite. I was absolutely delighted watching her eat it! She had so much fun and really enjoyed herself.
Image Image Image
Amo_Angelus

Re: We've taken our first messy steps!

Postby Lily » 30 Dec 2015, 21:21

Great that she's having so much fun!

Just FYI, we don't put pictures in posts on this forum - it makes it really slow to load. Feel free to link to pics elsewhere when you want to show off your lovely LO.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby samnthayoung » 04 Feb 2016, 10:03

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your topic with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.
samnthayoung

Postby Amo_Angelus » 05 Feb 2016, 00:37

What sort of update would you like? Js now just over six months old and eating like a pro despite her teeth still not having come through. She lobes food and you should see how her eyes light up when the highchair comes out! She now eats proper meals and I no longer fight with her about stealing my food which has made us both so much happier, I can eat when I'm hungry and she just grabs what she fancies as well as her own meals, and I pinch off her tray if she doesn't want something. It's a lot of fun!

Her nappies on the otherhand... Woah!
Amo_Angelus

Return to New to BLW?