Very discouraged

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Very discouraged

Postby elc89 » 28 Dec 2015, 14:06

My little man is 6 months and I had decided to try blw as it seemed like it would be more fun for him and help with his development. I've tried giving him banana and steamed carrots and some toast but he refuses to even pick it up. I've tried sitting and eating with him, encouraging him and everything and he's just not interested. My partner keeps telling me that we should just put him on purées cause he obviously doesn't like doing it this way. I feel very discouraged and unsupported atm and would very much appreciate some help and tips. Thanks.
elc89

Re: Very discouraged

Postby StJuniper » 28 Dec 2015, 15:47

Part of the "baby-led" part of baby-led weaning is trusting your baby's timing. Some babies start eating the second they get their hands on food, some take a few weeks, and some take a few months to get into food. There's no wrong way! Keep offering different foods, eating with him so he has someone to copy, and trust his timing. He doesn't need food right now, his milk feeds will be providing him with all the nutrition he needs.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Monochrome » 28 Dec 2015, 16:19

Agree with StJuniper. If you include him in mealtimes he will eventually reach out and try doing what you are doing. In the meantime he'll get his nutrition from milk. Good luck!
Monochrome

Postby Tintin » 28 Dec 2015, 20:09

Most of what babies are doing in the early days is playing - exploring textures, smells, etc - so even when he does start to pick things up, he's not necessarily going to start "eating" as you might expect/want. He doesn't need food for calories or nutrition, so really there's no pressure on either of you to make it work. Has your partner read the BLW book? If someone is not aware of the principles behind BLW, it can make it seem like a baby is "failing" compared to traditional weaning, whereas actually, there are often completely different criteria and expectations. Trust your baby, and let him lead the way!
DD1 Stompy, home-birthed Feb 08
DD2 Squeak, home-birthed March 11
Tintin

Return to New to BLW?