11 month old, barely any solids

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

11 month old, barely any solids

Postby Number4 » 17 Dec 2015, 01:10

Ok, let me start by saying I am not by any stretch a new mommy. As my username indicates, little man is my 4th child. BUT, my others are 20, 15 and 14 so he might as well be an only child and I am trying to remember so much!

On to the subject at hand. BLW. So, my little guy is obviously far behind a lot of babies on here, but he gags....so much! It is really only over about the last 3 weeks that he can eat whole puffs (now he devours them!) My problem is finding things for him to eat. Anything remotely "slimy" (bananas, canned unsalted peas, beans, really, basically anything) he won't touch. He'll kind of move it around on his tray. Then if you take a piece and try to feed it to him he'll have a fit and then gag! I wish I could find the dang zwieback crackers because I think he would like those....but even still. Even the baby mum-mums he gags on. Stage 3 food? Same thing...I think because he is expecting the puree of stage 2 and then they sneak in those little chunks.

Does anyone have some ideas? I did get him to eat a little cooked ground beef in spaghetti sauce last night, but that's all the progress I can claim. I really would like it if he could enjoy his birthday cake next month!
Number4

Re: 11 month old, barely any solids

Postby Number4 » 17 Dec 2015, 01:14

Oh, side note...making my little guy embarrassed if he could read.... he has 8 full teeth (started getting them at 6 months) and 4 on the way in, so there's really no reason he can't chew!
Number4

Postby Treeb » 17 Dec 2015, 01:53

Welcome Number4! Don't worry about comparing your little guy with any other babies on here. He is his own person and they each develop in their own ways and in their own time.

It's not clear from your post - did you start out with purees, or have you been doing BLW from the start? Some puree weaned babies do seem to have a very hard time transitioning to regular foods. Since it sounds like partially a textual issue you might want to look into some form of sensory issues (not sure what the technical name is.) Also, has he been checked for a tongue tie? This can make eating difficult for some little ones as well.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby Number4 » 17 Dec 2015, 12:15

He was put straight onto the purees. He actually didn't care for even rice cereal so we skipped that too unless it was mixed in something else.
Number4

Postby Number4 » 17 Dec 2015, 12:37

Let's take right now as an example. I decided that we really need to try harder, he is almost a year old. So I put a few pineapple tidbits and banana pieces (sliced, then cut in half on his tray). He looks at me like I am nuts so I put 3 puffs in there (they camouflage pretty well!). He tries the pineapple, spits it out, I kind of force him to try a banana piece which he objects to put swishes around in his mouth for a minute before gagging, then picks up the puffs and eats them! So frustrating. I am going to give it about 10 minutes with the food on his tray and see what happens. Probably will be feeding him a stage 2 after that. He can devour 1 1/2 stage 2 containers at a meal.
Number4

Postby Marrow » 17 Dec 2015, 12:43

What have you had to eat today? Could you put some of your next meal on a plate for him and eat together?
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby StJuniper » 17 Dec 2015, 12:48

I agree that he may need to be checked out for sensory issues, but if you want to apply BLW principles to help him, I'd start by separating his eating time (give him food you know he'll eat) from messy/sensory play time. Give him a bowl of spaghetti, and let him play! Let him explore, experiment, get messy, and experience textures at his own pace with no pressure to put something in his mouth, and see if over time he can get more comfortable with textures as he experiences them on his own terms.

I would also avoid forcing him to try anything. If he's uncomfortable with textures, forcing them on him is only going to make him more uncomfortable. How do you and he react when he gags? Is he freaked out? Are you? A relaxed attitude from you could go a long way to helping him move past the gagging...
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby EnigmaFish » 19 Dec 2015, 00:02

Wow, such a big difference in ages must be amazing! I can see how it would be both fun and frustrating to be, essentially, starting all over again.

On the topic of Baby-Led Weaning: to be blunt, I cannot see anything baby-led about what you are doing. The BLW approach is that, if the baby doesn't want or need to eat, then we respect that. By all means, if there are concerns about a baby having sensory issues or tongue-tie or other possible causes of a reluctance to eat solid food, get those concerns addressed by a doctor. Absolutely. But, in the mean time if we're assuming everything is okay with baby, then being baby-led means being patient.

You don't mention if your baby is still taking any great quantity of milk. For the first year, a baby's main source of nutrition is either formula or breast milk. In some cases, parents have started purées and then decided to move to BLW. In that case, if the baby has already replaced milk with purées, the same principles still apply: feed the baby her milk or purées first so that she's not hungry and frustrated, then sit down with her for a family meal and offer her some of the tasty, healthy things you are eating.
If she likes them and she eats them, great. If she doesn't, try again tomorrow.

Please don't compare your baby with anyone else's. It's not going to lead anywhere positive.
Please don't force your baby to eat something. It's okay if he doesn't like particular foods, and actually, it's okay if he prefers runny purées.

I hope you take this post in the well-meant spirit I intended. I actually hate being blunt, but I didn't know how else to get my point across in this case. Welcome to our little community, which is an island of peace on the Internet. I think the others said what I'm trying to say far better.

Also (genuine question) what are puffs?
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby Number4 » 08 Jan 2016, 01:41

So, I am back. Little man turns 1 next week. We are making a little progress. I decided maybe what we needed was soups. Wedding soup is a hit with him, but not the meatballs, even cut up he just keeps them in his cheek until he either tries to swallow and gags or spits them out. Vegetable soup, no problem. Full kidney beans (in soups) no problem. I tried a little bit of dream fields angel hair pasta tonight just cut up, in a bowl and let him make the appropriate mess. He did get some into him mouth and seemed to like it, but he was tired so that didn't last too long. I am buying and trying basically any vegetable I can cook but the fact is he just doesn't like the FEEL of food. If it's spoon fed to him, even the larger stuff, he's fine. If he has to pick it up he will do so, look at it in his hand and then throw it on the floor. I tried getting him a baby fork and putting some things on it then handing it to him, but I get the same reaction as if it is on his tray. I don't know what else to try at this point.
Number4

Return to New to BLW?