How do you have the time?!

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

How do you have the time?!

Postby smileykel » 13 Dec 2015, 23:38

Ok, so this post should really be titled "how do you keep baby entertained/distracted long enough to be able to cook fabulous nutritious meals for BLW purposes" but that had too many characters. So a slightly mid-leading title, as I do have enough TIME to cook up culinary masterpieces, it's just that I can barely leave the room long enough to make a cup of tea before the little angel notices and shouts the house down demanding attention before rolling onto her tummy in a hilarious attempt to come and find me. I can't imagine being able to prepare anything that takes any time.

So what do you guys do? Any tips or advice would be greatfully received. Our kitchen is teeny, so it's not as though I could put a table in it for her to sit and watch me cook.

Many thanks
smileykel

Re: How do you have the time?!

Postby mamapup » 14 Dec 2015, 23:28

How old is she? Cook when she's asleep?
If she's tiny and you're just starting out, you don't need to create fabulous meals for her yet, just whack some roast veg in front of her, or bread and hummus!

It gets easier... And then harder when they insist in joining in the cooking...and then easier when you can put the TV on and trust them alone...and then they refuse everything because it's all yuck anyway.

Good luck!
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby eterna » 15 Dec 2015, 06:09

I did spend more time cooking once DD started eating with us as I was being much more careful to make things from scratch with no salt (like spaghetti sauce etc.) However, I didn't go out of my way to prepare more "elaborate" meals then we were used to eating. There is an inverse relationship between the amount of time it takes to cook and how much they eat!

A teeny K-room can make it tricky. We made ourselves one of those learning tower things (like a stool with walls) for when they could stand on their own, but if you have a littler one that likes to be held, I'd go for a baby carrier for sure. At 6 months, she should be able to go on your back and you can get a fair amount done that way, especially if you have her nice and high so she can see over your shoulder.
Mom to A - Sep. 2009 & O - May 2013
eterna

Postby Lily » 15 Dec 2015, 09:25

Definitely a carrier. I find chopping to the sound of Radio 4 soothes Bee to sleep in no time!

Also, if you cook an evening meal after LO is in bed, then try to save some leftovers. Or stick slow-cooked dishes on at nap-time so they're ready later in the day.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Amo_Angelus » 16 Dec 2015, 11:53

I have three secret weapons. Dog dog will happily run around distracting her while she shouts at him from her chair (supervised of course), carebears seems to distract her for a good half hour and if all else fails I pop her in a sling to do the prep work for stuff and then use the oven when she's asleep.
Amo_Angelus

Postby busmother » 17 Dec 2015, 10:16

I do remember this being a huge thing, though part of the reason for us doing BLW was that it would make us cook proper food. I broke my favourite recipes down into chunks of preparation I could do when my twins were asleep, so I'd do some chopping in the morning etc, so it was more or less ready to bung in the oven later on. Now I have only one baby and a big k-room it's SO much easier.
Mother to twin buses, born 2010, and number 3, born 2015
busmother

Postby smileykel » 17 Dec 2015, 18:38

Thanks guys, I hadn't thought of the sling, I'll try that! I'll also try to do more prep when I'm making our own tea when she's in bed, so I can refrigerate and have it ready for the next day. I think as I'm breast feeding on demand, it just seems like ANOTHER thing to factor into any sort of schedule, I feel I'm constantly thinking about when her next feed is due, when her nap is due, so that she won't be either tired or hungry when I can eventually get something on the table!

I think I'll try to get some sort of wall mounted mini drop down table too, as I'm finding carrying everything through to our dining area from the kitchen (and back again in a million pieces) takes quite a bit of time!!!
smileykel

Return to New to BLW?