November starters

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

November starters

Postby kparker » 20 Nov 2015, 05:07

Hi all! I didn't notice a post for November starters (but that could be baby brain at work! Please redirect me if I've missed seeing it). So, I'm actually not a true beginner with baby led weaning. My three year old son was BLW. He basically wanted nothing to do with being spoon fed so we went this route. It took time for him to start actually "eating" but he got there! He's a great eater now (although still a toddler...he threw a fit about eating his beets at dinner tonight, but he's generally quite good). My daughter is now 6 months and you would think I would be more confident about weaning her but...I'm not! It's like I've forgotten everything. To be honest, I tried purees a bit and some cereal to see if it would "click" with her. But I'm a BLW mom at heart. Giving her different food from the family, and trying to come up with time to make it, seems pointless. I decided the second time around I should do what's familiar and so we're back to BLW. So far, she LOVES cucumber with tzatziki and had a hard time with the beets tonight at dinner. She loved it, but it was a bit firm and a piece broke off in her mouth that she didn't know what to do with. She didn't choke, but it scared me. Man, parenting! We've been here before, but it still freaks me out. I'd love to hear your stories as you are getting going, too.
kparker

Re: November starters

Postby Treeb » 20 Nov 2015, 20:34

Hello! I'm in the same position with this all seeming rather new again despite having a BLW 3 yo. Ours pretty much refuses to eat any cooked veg except green beans, but is generally quite happy with most raw veggies. I think he'd live on peanut butter, pepperoni, mac & cheese, and fruit if we let him!

A is technically not 6 months until Dec 9, but despite my best intentions of waiting longer to start she is absolutely determined to steal my food at any chance she gets, so here we are! I haven't made anything special for her yet and we haven't really been having appropriate cooked veg, so so far she has just been given some tastes of a few different fruits and veg (bell pepper strips, apple, pear, cucumber, a bit of pumpkin on a spoon...) Her favorite seemed to be the cucumber which she managed to gum all the soft seedy part off of and I think she swallowed it! Haven't had a poop diaper yet since she had that but I'm sort of dreading the changing poos since it is going to make my cloth diaper cleaning more of a hassle.

She isn't sitting fully on her own yet, though she gets closer every day, but she is very sturdy sitting on my lap which is where she has always been at meal times since she was tiny so she is used to being at the table with us. For a while she was happy being given a toy to chew on at the table but now she just immediately throws them on the floor and reaches into whatever the nearest dish of food is. This is making meals very interesting when I have something like a hot bowl of soup to keep out of her reach.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby Sinope » 21 Nov 2015, 13:52

Our little boy s now 6.5 months old. We started with the BLW a day before yesterday and despite all the good intentions it didnt go too well :(. We offered carrot and potato in the hand-able size, so that a small part would be out from his wrist. At first it seemed to work very well. He took the carrot, some pieces came off, he let them out from the mouth. Did a bad face, then grabbed another carrot and the same. Then a potato try and then things got scary. I think I cooked the potato too soft. Thought, I read from somewhere that pieces have to be soft, although I always thought they should be harder so that at first pieces are not coming off? But anyway, with the smashed potato which was in his mouth after he had taken the bar of potato he started to make again the bad face plus the face/movements of vomit. Perhaps we should have stopped allowing him to explore the food any further because after some few more tries he vomited all the milk out that he had eaten before. He didnt really cough or choke, it really seemed to be just a vomit action. May it mean that his "tongue-vomit" reflex (sorry, I dont know the right term, the reflex that if any food gets too far on the tongue he lets it out) is still too strong to start eating? I myself feel that indeed, he is not ready yet. He needs help when sitting as well. But, in my country they say that absolutely on 6 months a baby has to get extra food in order to get the vitamins and minerals. Needless to say that the BLW method is not supported at all. However, I read a book about it and it seam's so normal.
Mother to prince D, born in May 2015
Sinope

Postby EnigmaFish » 21 Nov 2015, 23:38

Sorry to hear you had a scary start!
There's no magic line at six months that every baby runs out of nutrients and needs extra vitamins from solid food. For the most part, milk continues to provide all their nutrients, and in an easier to digest form as well.
A really strong gag reflex may be his body's way of saying it's not ready, yet. Also, it is important that they can sit unaided rather than reclining in a seat. This is to help them spit food out if they can't swallow it, or if they're gagging.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby Treeb » 22 Nov 2015, 13:14

Hi Sinope! As EF says, there is no magic change at exactly six months. Every baby is different and you know your own baby best. If you feel he really is not ready it is ok to take a break for a week and then give it another try.

That said, some babies do just have very strong gag reflexes. It can be a bit disturbing to watch and the clean up is no fun but as long as he doesn't seem upset by it I wouldn't worry too much. He will grow out of it in time as he learns better how to eat and how much food he can handle.

Some foods also are more gaggy than others, so if you find he has trouble with potato but not with other foods you could stick to just the foods he finds easier and try the gaggy foods again in a few weeks.

Treeb

Postby Sinope » 25 Nov 2015, 08:30

thanks for your advises! I have also been thinking that it cannot be that all the babies need extra food starting from 6 months, while their social and physical developments can be very different.

We did have a small break and tried again with a piece of chicken. That went much better. It really seemed that he likes it. Though, very quickly small pieces started to come off (another point that they say is not good about finger food, that without teeth they cannot bite :p, our D has no teeth yet but chicken was quickly quite smashed) and we sort of stopped him from eating further. I know that is not the point in the BLW but as a starting parents we felt safer to stop it there and give it another try another day.
Sinope

Postby MDM06 » 25 Nov 2015, 16:48

Question, aren't we supposed to offer food for 3 days before starting with another one to see reactions and allergies? I asked coz I read Sinope offered 2 veggies together.

Now with my experience, my baby is 7 months, we started 3 weeks ago with avocado. I live in DR and here avocado is on season so I wanted to take advantage of that, she grabbed it, played, ate... I personally love how she was with the avocado, 3 days later we tried carrots and the same, then we tried oatmeal that one I had to give it with a spoon but she liked it too I believe its because I made it with breast milk lol, not this past week oh she's not even looking at the food at all, I put it in the tray and amazing how she avoid looking at it.

If any of you has a good oatmeal cookies recipe for babies I would love to have it to try making it.
MDM06

Postby Treeb » 26 Nov 2015, 21:36

Glad you had success with the chicken Sinope. Today is Thanksgiving here in the US, so I'm planning to give A some turkey as her first meat to try.

MDMO6 - recommendations can be really varied as to whether you need to space out offering new foods. There isn't really any reason to wait in between unless you suspect allergies, and then you probably only be careful around key foods (dairy, eggs, nuts, fish, etc.)

I think I have some oatmeal cookies recipes saved on my computer at home, but I won't be back to it until Sunday. I'll try to remember to check when we are home again.

Treeb

Postby aishitara » 16 Dec 2015, 16:59

Hi everyone!

We started blw a few weeks ago, when my daughter was 5.5 months. She was showing us (for a couple of weeks before that) that she was ready, so we dove in head first. In the last week or so, I've just started to notice a difference in her poo, so it looks like she is getting the hang of swallowing... very exciting!

Two things that concern me a little. One: knowing that all babies are different, is there anyone here who has done blw before and could speak to how long it typically takes before a baby is eating/swallowing with any regularity? For sure, K is swallowing some food, but it seems to be largely accidental.

Two: At what point do you know LO is ready for more than just a single fruit or veg or meat at a time? Meaning, at what point can I start giving her something to dip those cucumber sticks into? ^.^;

Also, perhaps this isn't an issue in Britain because blw is the norm (right?), but here I get a lot of push back from family and even my pediatrician about doing blw. Anyone else have this experience, and if so, how did you handle it?
aishitara

Postby Treeb » 16 Dec 2015, 20:00

Hi aishitara! Sounds like you are off to a great start. As you say, all little ones are different, and it can vary hugely how quickly they "get it" and start swallowing more. Some get it right away, for many it seems to click around 9 or 10 months, and still others (my son included) they don't seem to really start eating until after a year old! Just follow her lead and try not to stress about it. As long as she continues having plenty of milk and stays happy and healthy anything is fine. :)

She probably won't understand "dipping" just yet, but it is fine to give her more variety! I know my daughter would just smear any kind of dip all over the highchair if given to her at this point. Instead you could pre-dip in something like plain yogurt, hummus, or cream cheese, or serve things like this spread on a (salt-free) rice cake or a piece of toast.

I think I remember that you are in the U.S. like me? Reactions can vary widely, even in the UK, and plenty of members here have faced negative reactions when getting started. I've been lucky to have pretty accepting family and doctors and such, but the general consensus seems to be that it's best to just smile and nod and don't get into too much detail of how you are feeding your lo. Maybe avoid feeding in front of family for now, if you can. She'll pick up skills and become a pro quickly and once people see how well she is feeding herself in a couple months time most will switch to having much more positive things to say!

Treeb

Postby Treeb » 16 Dec 2015, 20:13

MDM06, sorry I never got back to you with oat cookie recipes! Here are a few I had saved if you are still interested. I've actually only made one of these since I tend to just hoard recipes, but maybe this will be some motivation for me to actually try some out as well. :wink:

These are the ones I've made, several times. You can use any type of milk you want. They turn out kind of like dense chewy banana bread. I haven't tried them for A yet, but I know my son and I both enjoy them!

I'm really impressed with how well A is eating already. I finally kicked her brother out of the highchair which has let me be a bit more adventurous with giving her messy things. Some favorites so far have been avocado, chicken, potato, and melon. She's definitely swallowing more, though not really purposefully yet, and her poops have started to change (into grossness.) Steamed broccoli seems to be the most gaggy for her so far with epic gags both times she has had it and a big spit-up the second time, so we are going to hold off on giving broccoli again for a few weeks but otherwise she is only having minor gagging sometimes when she gets a chunk of something in her mouth.

How's everyone else doing?

Treeb

Postby Sinope » 23 Dec 2015, 08:03

Hi. I was just wondering to write about us and to ask how the rest are doing. We have been practicing now everyday since the beginning of December. And I was about to loos faith (just a bit) when we finally saw some carrot pieces in little D's poo :). It is not regular and for sure he is just accidentally swallowing things but yesterday with an avocado I definitely realized that he liked it and was eagerly licking his fingers (after he had struggled a bit to catch the slippery slice of avocado). BTW, just a week ago he didnt touch avocado at all. I have wanted to give him at least two different food items at one meal but I have a feeling that he just gets too excited, grabs them both but then naturally cant fit everything in his mouth. So I think I will continue with one item for a little while. It might be my imagination but I have a feeling that he eats less milk during the day now. Though, yesterday, after the successful avocado (at least I was sure that he must be full of it), he drank a lot of milk as well :).

I was also wondering about the "sauces" to dip the sticks. So I tried smashed blue berries yesterday on a spoon (because he had taken it with him to the table) and gave the spoon to him but the blue berries disappeared before the spoon reached (wrong side ahead :p ) his mouth. My next try would be indeed to have a "cookie" with something on it.

It is very familiar that most of the people are against the BLW and finger food, also in my country (Estonia). I didnt want to lie to our pediatrician but I was ready not to speak about it. However, she asked in a way that it came out. Naturally she was not happy, though I expected even larger resistance but she just asked what is in the poo (at that time we had nothing) and then "lets see the weight" came. Our D. has always gained more than average and only this last time he reached to the "normal" level of his weight but because before he had gained on average more the doctor said right away: "you see, the weight has started to go down. We want to see you again in a month. You have to give him porridge with the spoon." So, in few weeks we go again to show ourselves. It is quite stupid. There is so many different weight grownups why do the babies have to all fit inside certain lines? It just doesnt make sense. Besides, every day when I see my friends trying to feed their babies with a spoon, running after them in play areas, accidentally sticking few spoons into their babies mouth, if at all, and still being below any theoretical weigh lines, I am sure that the way I have chosen is much better. And, everyday I see, that little D is happy to sit with us at the table and participate.
Sinope

Return to New to BLW?