Gas & rash starting solids :/

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Gas & rash starting solids :/

Postby Zozja83 » 15 Nov 2015, 14:54

My lo had discomfort with gas and bowel movements from about 3 weeks old to 4.5 months. She's 6 months and a week old now and things were way better this past month. Gas issues seemed to be gone. Then about 2 weeks ago I started introducing solids (veggies and fruits only - avocado, banana, carrot, then zucchini - with a couple days between introducing each one). She was showing all the signs for being ready - interest in food, coordinated grasping, sitting up on her own. Also, I'm doing baby led weaning, so no purees - just cut them up in easy to grasp pieces (and cooked carrot and zucchini).

Well, the gas/bowl discomfort came back and it was definitely from the food. Also, she got a diaper rash that was definitely an allergy rash. Both cleared up in 2 days with no food.

Did I start too early? I'm worried I've affected her system When should I try again? or is all this normal when starting solids?

TIA for any help and advice!
Zozja83

Re: Gas & rash starting solids :/

Postby Kitcameron » 15 Nov 2015, 15:33

I think it's fairly normal. I don't think you'll have damaged her at all. It sounds like she has the signs of being ready but it is a big change so many babies will react to it. She doesn't need to eat now so if you wanted to wait a week or so and see if trying again at a later date helps you could do but I don't think it's necessary. Depends how much discomfort she's in I suppose.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Re: Gas & rash starting solids :/

Postby Zozja83 » 15 Nov 2015, 15:54

Thanks so much!! I think that's what I'm going to do =)
Zozja83

Return to New to BLW?