Timings for meals and bottles?

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Timings for meals and bottles?

Postby Ezrasmummy » 08 Nov 2015, 22:40

Hi
I seem to be reading so much conflicting advice on when to schedule meals - some of what I've read says literally just before milk, others say just after (30mins to an hour) and I've also read that food should be timed mid-way between bottle feeds. So confused! Currently my son (7 & 1/2 months old) has bottles at 8am, 12noon, 4pm, 6:30pm (bedtime) and a dream feed at 11/11:30pm ish. For food, we are at two meals (by meals I mean in the losest sense of the word as he merely sucks the food, and sometimes not even that!) at 9am and 1pm. I'm now keen to introduce an evening meal as well but really don't know when to fit this in. I'm also wondering if I should change the timings of the current breakfast and lunch to see if he'd actually eat more?
Any advice or suggestions or example schedules that seem to work would be very gratefully received!
Thank you! X
Ezrasmummy

Re: Timings for meals and bottles?

Postby Marrow » 09 Nov 2015, 09:35

We went with:
Is she hungry? If yes, feed her (BF or bottle - she was mixed-fed).
If no: Are the adults eating? If yes, is there something on our plates that she can eat? If yes, is she up for joining in? If yes, go for it!

I think the whole timing thing is only really important if you are trying to get them to eat more and drink less (which isn't the "baby led" philosophy). Or if you have a baby who is likely to gag and vomit all of their last milk feed if you do food too soon after milk.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby Ezrasmummy » 09 Nov 2015, 10:15

Thanks Marron!
Ezrasmummy

Postby Cofa's Tree » 09 Nov 2015, 10:18

I agree with Marron - initially we fed about an hour before food but once he was properly eating, that was naturally either cut out or moved to after the food. When I say 'properly', that was much nearer 11 months of age, and even then it was only really breakfast that would reliably be eaten. Don't think we even bothered with an evening meal until nearer 1 1/2, just an afternoon snack, then milk for the rest of the day. Go with what suits you and don't stress about it too much :)
Cofa's Tree

Return to New to BLW?