How much should they be eating

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

How much should they be eating

Postby burnettnic » 02 Nov 2015, 16:09

Hi folks, - sorry for long post! I have been doing BLW for about 4 weeks now and while I believe its the right thing to do and fully support it, each day I just don't know if I am doing it right as my baby seems to eat so little. She does like it when I give her finger food and providing she isn't too tired everything goes to her mouth and she will go for everything I give her until it all ends up on the floor. Although sometimes I'm lucky if she will eat 1cm of food in her mouth, maybe a little more depending on what it is (broccoli and asparagus goes down well) but I just feel a little disheartened every meal time, especially when I have spent time making burgers, meat balls ect (I'm not a good cook). If I spoon feed her with soup, yogurt ect then she happily takes heaps although she would rather have the spoon its self. I speak to other mums who are doing purees and they have cut out milk feeds with full puree meals while my baby still has the same milk feeds as she has always had. Also worried she isn't getting enough vitamins ect.

Is this what I should expect, will she start to eat more if I keep going? Some encouragement would be good, my baby will be 7 months old next week and want to keep going with the BLW Way
burnettnic

Re: How much should they be eating

Postby mamapup » 02 Nov 2015, 19:05

You're fine. Ignore the tw babies and their mums because it's a very very different process. Your dd is learning about food right now. You are giving her space to explore and discover all on her own- what a privilege. Right now food isn't for nutrients or sustenance, it's a new toy and a new experience. Milk is her main source of food right now and could be for a long while to come, that depends on the child. My first started cutting feeds around 10 months, the second dropped milk altogether at 8 months because she loved eating so much.

It can be frustrating, especially if you're cooking especially for your dd so don't! At this stage just give her bits from your plate or a few bits of pasta, she'll be fine. The more effort you put in, the less she will want to know is the general rule of thumb. We have all learned that annoying lesson, believe me!

She will start to eat more, I promise, but maybe not for a few months. If you can stick at it then that's great for all but you need to make the decision that's right for you and your baby.

Best of luck and feel free to ask as many questions as you like. We have all been there and know how hard it can be.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby burnettnic » 02 Nov 2015, 20:13

Great thank you, thats all I needed to hear and deep down I know its fine but sometimes I panic. I totally believe in BLW and have no idea why people bother with purees, it seems pointless. Tonight as usual she tucked into her broccoli but wasn't so sure about the meatball although I think she did have a taste before putting it on the floor, it just feels like she should be eating more. I did try and give her a spoon of the tomato sauce and she just started crying, she is a big girl and wants to do it herself! Now I have found this forum I am sure it will help me a lot reading the posts. Thanks again for replying!
burnettnic

Postby mamapup » 02 Nov 2015, 20:19

My pleasure. Stick around, we're a friendly bunch!
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Treeb » 02 Nov 2015, 20:20

Have you tried doing "loaded spoons"? You keep the dish of food near you and fill the spoon, but rather than stick it in her mouth just hand over the spoon to her for her to feed herself. Her aim will be a bit off at first and there will be some mess, but you'll be surprised how quickly she gets the hang of it! Thick things work best like oatmeal and Greek yogurt.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby emzit » 02 Nov 2015, 22:11

Honestly, she sounds like she's doing fab!
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Return to New to BLW?