Meal time question

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Meal time question

Postby ahbishop80 » 30 Oct 2015, 20:25

Hello All!

We are just starting BLW for out ds5.5 months. A few questions -

1) how does it work with foods that are too squishy/slippery for him to handle well? (banana, avocado)
2) I read the book and tonight instead of just doing one thing for him to play with I am giving him a full fledged meal to choose from with chicken, sweet potato, carrots, and a fruit - as long as he is seated upright and the pieces are graspable he is okay? His Dad and I are both nervous
3) He doesn't quite sit straight up in his high chair and tends to slip down and be reclined (partly because he really wants to eat his feet.) - any tips for that? I was thinking of just setting him on my lap but we could also roll a hand towel and put it behind his back to help him sit up better...

I don't know why I feel so nervous. I am so excited that I am not waiting until 6 months to try it! (he has started grasping bottle nipple with both hands and putting it in his mouth and chewing on it so I decided to start a little early.)

TIA!
ahbishop80

Re: Meal time question

Postby Marrow » 30 Oct 2015, 22:10

Tbh, your number 3 worries me a bit. In order to be safe from choking, babies really need to have the strength and control to be able to lean forwards to use gravity to help get food out of their mouths. They don't need to be able to sit independently for hours - the inevitable topple is fine - but slumping isn't fine. It's not clear from what you've written where he's at with that.

Having said all that, if he is sitting securely...

Slippery foods, I would either make less slippery (leave skin on avocado, stick a finger up the middle of a banana), or mash them onto a piece of toast or similar, or do loaded spoons, or not bother and wait until he can hold them.

And yes, it really is that simple. With a few restrictions (no honey, no small round choke hazards, minimal salt, easy on the sugar), you hand over a bit of your dinner, and then let him lead. If he's loving it and you've got the time/patience, hand over more. If either he or you aren't loving it, go and do something else instead.

Enjoy!
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 30 Oct 2015, 22:22

Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby ahbishop80 » 30 Oct 2015, 22:29

He can definitely sit up in his own (unsupported even for small snippets of time) he is a small kids though and VERY active. He does mini sit-ups from a reclined positron when we give him his bottle so I think he may need to grow into his high chair a bit. I think I will keep him in my lap until we stop having the issue in the chair...thank you for the concern and the suggestion! Finger up the banana is a great one!
ahbishop80

Postby EnigmaFish » 31 Oct 2015, 00:03

Is your high chair the traditional kind with a metal frame, cushioned "wipe-clean" seat and big plastic tray? If it's the one I'm thinking of, the seat is naturally reclined and babies of a small stature do have trouble staying upright. I know pq I have the small babies and my MIL has that style of high chair. I think you're right to have him on your lap in that case. You really don't want to end up with him gagging on something and it being made worse by slumping down in the chair.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby ahbishop80 » 31 Oct 2015, 01:11

It is similar to that type but straps to a chair. It went pretty well with him on my lap although he was less accurate with food than toys. Is that normal? With toys, books, etc they go straight in his mouth, tonight it was straight to his eyes and forehead lol. One tiny piece of chicken fell into his mouth by accident and he eventually spit out haha.
ahbishop80

Postby Lily » 31 Oct 2015, 17:42

Yes, normal! Though tbh I think it's not really that they're more accurate with toys, but more that when they bash themselves on the cheek with a toy you don't really notice, whereas food leaves a mark so you see the evidence of their poor aim!
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Return to New to BLW?