New to blw... need some reassurance /clarification

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

New to blw... need some reassurance /clarification

Postby Zozja83 » 30 Oct 2015, 15:12

So, I gave my lo a banana for the first time today..not cut up, just a 2 inch chunk of a banana third. She shoved it jn her mouth and mused it and a couple dime size pieces came off. With blw do you let your lo try to eat those pieces? I'm afraid she's going to choke on them!
Zozja83

Re: New to blw... need some reassurance /clarification

Postby Marrow » 30 Oct 2015, 15:46

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: things that are a real choking hazard are small, round, and non-squishable - whole nuts, whole grapes etc. They are the sorts of things that could get inhaled and block a windpipe. Banana, on the other hand, is just not the right shape and is too squishy to be a real choking hazard. It may well cause gagging (the noisy bit, which prevents you from choking) and/or coughing and/or vomiting (from the gagging), but none of those are dangerous. Babies have very very sensitive gag reflexes, so it's really hard for anything to get anywhere near their windpipes!
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby Kitcameron » 30 Oct 2015, 15:48

I used to break banana into thinner stripes. If you gently squeeze a banana near the top it will naturally fracture into three pieces which you can pull apart. Doing it this way, instead of with a knife, means you dont get slippery edges. I don't know how or why but it works and gives you a more finger sized piece which my girls found easier to hold.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Zozja83 » 30 Oct 2015, 15:52

Thanks!! That helps =)
Zozja83

Return to New to BLW?