October Starters

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

October Starters

Postby busmother » 27 Oct 2015, 12:37

I thought I'd start one of these thread for those who are just getting started, as it would be nice to get to know everyone who's at a similar stage, and have somewhere you can post about mundanities like the first poo and how much he enjoyed his first peach that aren't quite worth a thread of their own.

So, No3 turned 6 months on 16 Oct, when we were on holiday, so we put him in the high chair a few days later, and we're now 10 days in. And he's loving it. And the poos are horrible. Favourites so far have been peach, and toast with mashed sardine, but really anything. As soon as he's in his chair he's looking about for where his food is.
Mother to twin buses, born 2010, and number 3, born 2015
busmother

Re: October Starters

Postby Lily » 27 Oct 2015, 13:25

Wow, sounds like he's getting off to a great start.

Bee was 6mo on the 11th and I've been giving her bits and pieces since a few days before that; she enjoys it but so far nothing seems to get swallowed on purpose. Her gag reflex is still very strong, though gradually getting less so, and only the occasional tiny fragment appears in the nappy.

That said, she will happily suck and gum the life out of anything before she spits it out. Her favourites are definitely meat and fish (neither of which Izbiz would touch till he was over 2), but pineapple and raspberries also went down very well. She's not so keen on bland tastes - mashed potatoes did not impress, banana she can take or leave, and cucumber the same.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Mummy1 » 27 Oct 2015, 13:38

Hello,

Our daughter turned 6months on the 9th of October and our blw sounds very similar to you Lily! Which is good to hear. We havent moved on to fish or meats, still only fruit and steamed veg sticks. I'm holding back and i shouldn't! I think i'm only giving foods that she can hold and bite/chew away at and i'm not sure how to give other things such as meat and fish in a way that she can hold and bite? An unconfident baby brain here.. Sorry for any dumb posts!
Mummy1

Postby busmother » 27 Oct 2015, 14:53

We're mostly veggie so I haven't tried meat yet. As I said, I mashed up sardines on a piece of toast. Didn't stick all that well, but some of it went in. I seem to remember mixing it with cream cheese in the past to make it stick better. We had hake a couple of nights ago, quite a flaky white fish, and that was tricky - I think we'll need to wait until his pincer grip is better and he can pick up smaller chunks as it just fell apart when he tried to pick it up. From what I've gathered on here though, you can give them a strip of meat and they'll suck /gnaw on it quite happily.
busmother

Postby Lily » 27 Oct 2015, 15:59

Yup, strips of meat work fine. If you cut it with the grain they can squish it without pieces coming off; cut it across the grain and they can gum bits off more easily. Mince is good too - mini patties, or graspable pasta shapes with bolognese sauce. You could do tinned fish as a base for pasta sauce too. I gave Bee a chunk of haddock at the weekend and she gummed it into oblivion - probably her favourite food so far. It was a piece of fillet maybe one inch by two, and didn't give her any trouble in terms of holding on.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Mummy1 » 27 Oct 2015, 16:57

Ok great, will give chicken in the next few days and some of our salmon tonight i think. Thanks
Mummy1

Postby urbanlenny » 28 Oct 2015, 07:38

Hi,

Little Man started his journey on the weekend with a hunk of scrambled egg off his sisters plate! So far he has tried banana, cucumber and avocado. Am hoping to try him on meat soon, but it depends on whether he is awake for dinner or not!
urbanlenny

Postby Lily » 30 Oct 2015, 20:16

Hi lenny!

I think Bee's turned a corner in the last day or so. She's started actually swallowing things on purpose, rather than just not managing to spit it all out. She is really comically avid to try whatever is on offer, with the cutest expression of total concentration.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby ahbishop80 » 30 Oct 2015, 20:42

Our little Benjamin doesn't turn 6 months until November 12th but I am too excited and he seems ready to start so we are starting tonight. We have been giving him things at meal time to pick up and chew on that he can't eat yet (like uncooked carrot sticks) so he can participate and he seems very intrigued. This is exciting stuff!
ahbishop80

Postby busmother » 02 Nov 2015, 20:47

Soup tonight - lentil and tomato on loaded spoons. He liked it so much he was licking it off his tray. Which did make me worry whether perhaps it was too salty as I forgot I need to start dropping the stock content, or switch to a low-salt one, but it was so good to watch him. The buses laugh uproariously at him, which seems a bit mean, but he doesn't seem to mind.
And 5 years ago the co-op (our nearest supermarket) own brand rice cakes were my staple, to take out and about, spread with nut butter, sardine, houmous, whatever. They were the only ones I could find that were salt free. And now they don't stock them, only salt and vinegar flavoured ones, and I have to go to a fancy little health food shop and pay three times as much. Very annoying.
busmother

Postby Lily » 03 Nov 2015, 09:33

Wow, soup on loaded spoons - you're braver than me! So far I've just dipped in crusts of bread and given her those. But she's definitely got better aim with a spoon than her brother did; his yogurt used to end up in his hair and covering his arms up to the elbows, whereas hers is mostly around the lower half of her face.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby busmother » 03 Nov 2015, 13:51

I have to confess to holding the spoon right in front of him, so he can just grab it and shove it in, and his aim is generally rather good, so it was considerably less messy than the cream cheese on oatcake he had for lunch, when he was needing a sleep and rubbing it into his eyes. It was quite thick soup.
busmother

Postby oliviasmammy » 06 Nov 2015, 22:32

Hi everyone - we started this day last week. First food was sweet potato wedges and of course she gagged for ages (silently which I wasn't expecting) and put the heart across me. Since then she's had preloaded spoons of yoghurt and ready brek along with swede, broccoli, meatloaf (her favourite, she smushed it all against her face trying to fit it in), toast, banana, cauliflower, cucumber (second favourite) and some omelette! I'm still terrified at every mealtime
oliviasmammy

Postby yorkshirepudding » 07 Nov 2015, 01:21

Oliviasmummy, sounds like your lo is having fun! Not meaning to sound interfering, but gagging normally has some sound, and choking is silent, as the airway is totally blocked. You might already know that and you just knew she was gagging anyway, but maybe worth looking at first aid for babies on YouTube, or getting on a first aid course, to reassure yourself you'd know what to do if she did choke, might help you relax!
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby Mummy1 » 12 Nov 2015, 11:27

Hello again,

How is it going? We're pretty much the same as far as food is concerned I think! Tried fish and chicken a few times but it gets pushed out pretty much immediately as compared to fruit and veg which she generally likes to chew around. Pasta wasn't taken greatly either. I always end up on peices of fruit and veg! Which is great but want her to have other things too. She'll occasionally be happy with some sort of bread.

Hard to know how much to swallows.. Are any of you giving yogurts and cereals? If so which milk with cereal? Initially spoon feeding/ loaded spoons were completely useless, should I try again do you think so she can have runnier foods too?

Thanks
Mummy1

Next

Return to New to BLW?